Clockwork Angel [1]

«Do you think Charlotte will let me handle the investigation?»
«Do you think you can be trusted in Downworld? The gambling hells, the dens of magical vice, the women of loose morals...»
Will smiled the way Lucifer might have smiled, moments before he fell from Heaven.

Will&Jem — Prologue

Without him, she was completely alone in the world. There was no one at all for her. No one in the world who cares whether she lived or died. [...] If no one in the entire world cared about you, did you really exist at all?

Tessa Gray — Chapter 1

When you find a man you with to marry, Tessa, remember this: You will know what kind of man he is not by the things he says, but by the things he does.

Aunt Harriet — Chapter 2

«You cut me,» he said. His voice was pleasant. British. Very ordinary. He looked at his hand with critical interest. «It might be fatal.»
Tessa looked at him with wide eyes. «Are you the Magister?»
He tilted his hand to the side. Blood ran down it, spattering the floor. «Dear me, massive blood loss. Death could be imminent.»

Will&Tessa — Chapter 2

«Are you the Magister?»
«Magister?» He looked mildly surprised by her vehemence. «That means 'master' in Latin, doesn't it?»
«I...» Tessa was feeling increasingly as if she were trapped in a strange dream. «I suppose it does.»
«I've mastered many things in my life. Navigating the streets of London, dancing the quadrille, the Japanese art or flower arranging, lying at charades, concealing a highly intoxicated state, delighting young women with my charms...»
Tessa stared.
«Alas,» he went on, «no one has ever actually referred to me as 'the master,' or 'the magister,' either. More's the pity...»
«Are you highly intoxicated at the moment?»

Will&Tessa — Chapter 2

«How very direct, but I suppose all you Americans are, aren't you?» The boy looked amused. «Yes, your accent gives you away. What's your name, then?»
Tessa looked at him in disbelief. «What's my name?»
«Don't you know it?»
«You—you've come bursting into my room, scared me nearly to death, and now you demand to know my name? What on earth's your name? And who are you, anyway?»

Will&Tessa — Chapter 2

«Do you often sleep tied on the bed?»

Will — Chapter 2

«By the Angel, it's like the ninth circle of Hell down here —»
«The ninth circle of Hell is cold,» Tessa said automatically.
Will stared at her. «What?»
«In the Inferno,» she told him. «Hell is cold. It's covered in ice.»
[...] «As for the temperature of Hell, Miss Grey,» he said, «let me give you a piece of advice. The handsome young fellow who's trying to rescue you from a hideous fate is never wrong. Not even if he says the sky is purple and made of hedgehogs.»

Will&Tessa — Chapter 2

«I'm boasting of my investigative skills, and I would prefer to do it without interruption. Where was I?»

Will — Chapter 2

«Will, she bit me!»
«Did she, Henry?» [...] «It's bad form to bite,» he informed her. «Rude, you know. Hasn't anyone ever told you that?»
«It's also rude to go about grabbing at ladies you haven't been introduced to,» Tessa said stiffly. «Hasn't anyone told you that

Herny, Will & Tessa — Chapter 2