chapter eight ✪

**lowercase intended, unedited

(charlie's pov)

"sorry to break in like this, but DCS called." i hear sheriff peterkin tell my brother in the kitchen, "they wanted me to check in on the two of you. see how you're doin'. so, how are you, besides the eye?"

"oh, no, i'm— i'm great. yeah, fantastic. uh... thanks for comin' by." my brother lies, probably hoping the sheriff will leave.

"i'm so glad to hear you say that, john b, but i heard a few things that worried me. let me see if i can remember. oh, yeah. one of the things i heard was that your uncle teddy, your guardian, hasn't been in the state for three months."

"that's false." he lies again.

"you don't have to say anything. i know it's true. i called the school. they said you used to be a good student, but now you're failin' all your classes. your sister on the other hand, hasn't changed, always runnin' off with that damn maybank boy getting into trouble." i can't help but snicker at the thought of all the shit jj and i get into when we're skipping school.

"no. no, i'm only failing one, and it's history. the dude's a dick. and charlie, i'm trying to get her under control. not as easy as you'd think."

"i heard there was a fight on the beach yesterday, and a gun was involved." peterkin changes the subject. "okay. gun? no. did i get in a dust up? yes, but was there a gun? no. no way." my brother scoffs.

"that's okay. i know who it was. i'll get to him." with hearing this something inside of me snaps as if my brain is telling me go warn jj she's coming.

and with that i pull on a t-shirt one of the boys left in my room, slip on my converse, grab my backpack, jump out my window, and sprint through the woods to jj's house.

but having left before the sheriff i didn't get to hear the rest of her conversation with my dumbass of a twin.

➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶➴➶

(3rd person pov)

     "all i'm worried about right now is makin' sure you and your sister are in a safe home." peterkin tells john b.

     "yeah, super safe. super sound, sturdy. you know?" the brunette boy jokingly taps the table proving his point. "and, uncle t's coming back, so.."

     "is that what he told you?" "yeah."

"if he is coming, the i think you two should be allowed to stay." "thank you." "but if i stick my neck out for you, you have to help me. tit for tat." sheriff peterkin bargains.

     "what— what does that mean?" john b questions confused by the sheriff's words.

     "let me see, how can you help me? oh, i know. so, a body was found in the marsh yesterday. were you in the marsh yesterday?" the dark completed lady questions john.

     "yeah, we were fish in' for some drum." he lies.

     "you catch anything?" "nah, we were skunked." "strange. fishing's usually good after a storm. all sorts of things get stirred up. you come across a wreck yesterday?" she continues pushing.

     "no." john b lies again.

     "you skimmin' just above the surface, john b. now down here, you and charlie are lookin' at foster care, juvie. pretty big drop got a smart kid like you. but up here is you and your little friends doing whatever you want. outer banks... or foster care on the mainland. what one would you rather for your sister john." peterkin almost threatens.