high school reunion

My POV

Well hi there 🙋‍♂️

I'm Y/N, Y/FN Y/LN. I'm 28 years old and I am a Veterinarian in a pretty large clinic in Los Angeles.

So now that you know me, I suggest you learn about my predicament.

My 10 year high school reunion is tonight. Now normally I'd be stressed over what to wear and how awkward it's going to be, but I'm terrified because I'll see my long time crush there.

Anna Shumate.

We were best friends for all of high school, until senior year.

She started dating Zane, a absolute dickhead.

Me and Anna would constantly flirt and I thought that she liked me and I was going to ask her out after school one Monday.

When I went to her locker, I saw Zane standing there. I overheard him ask her on a date and so I turned around and walk away.

My heart was a little broken but not as much as it was when I heard news form about three months later.

Anna and Zane were dating for like 3 months and they were going to prom together. But me and Anna were best friends, and we were going to the lake house after the prom.

Well actually she bailed on me. Many times.

She didn't talk to me for a while because of him.

Until they broke up during like the summer, then we would talk and we were friends again. And a lil more than friends. We basically moved into my parents lake house for the summer.

The first time we kissed was under the stars on the Fourth of July with the fireworks popping in the background. Main character shit....I know.💅

But you see, all good things come to an end. So the last day of summer, I was sitting on the sand bar from our lake house with her. We were at the "talking or dating" stage. I was confessing my feelings for her under the hot sun. She stopped me mid confession to say, "I'm getting back with Zane", she says blatantly.

My heart dropped because not even a minute before, I was going to tell her "I love you"

I didn't say a word. I stared straight ahead as she tried to talk to me.

Then i finally spoke, "Leave."

She got up and left.

Last thing I heard about her was that she was engaged to a random college boyfriend.

So....tonight

I've decided to dress as best as I can to show her and everyone else, including Zane, what success looks like. A fine burgundy suit with a white button up and a white handkerchief. A deep spray of my Versace Eros against my collar.

I walk up to my classic 1968 Ford Mustang. It's beautiful interior previously detailed for this event. I jingle the keys as I start her up. I pull out of my long driveway.

I pull up to the beautiful banquet hall. Valet takes my car as i readjust my suit. I walk through the grand glass doors and I see my now best friend, Charles. Charles and I were close in school but then after we became coworkers and are now best friends.

Charles comes up to me and we hug. He pulls away and says, "you ready to see her?". He knew about us....I mean everyone did

"Yep. She's just my past.", i say with a fake smile. She's my past but she's also my first love. You never truly get over your first love.

He gives me a soft smile and we walk up to the entry doors. Two large men in suits open the doors and we walk through.

I see the sign in booth and I walk up to it.