• Social Media •

Mother: Stop using your phone now! It has been two hours since you started playing games.

Shravan: (pleading face) But mumma! I just started checking my social media accounts and there are so many messages and posts that I haven't seen yet.

Mother: No means No. Now go in your room and study.

Shravan: Papa, please try to explain my situation to mumma.

Father: No son! Your mother is right! You should go and study now.

This is one of the conversations we face mostly everyday in our life

This is one of the conversations we face mostly everyday in our life. If you are a parent, you'll be scolding your child or if you are a child, you are being scolded by your parents. I am a teenager myself and face this daily. But I won't say that either of you are wrong. I feel like both of us are correct but we need to communicate and try to understand each other's perspectives.

First, let's see the parents perspective. When you use your mobile for a long time, whatever reason it is, even for your lectures, it may create a problem for your eyesight. Stress in your eyes, headache, etc are the common problems. And using mobile is just like an addiction. And I'm not saying that I'm not addicted to my mobile.

Many of us have a habit of binge watching episodes and because we are too engrossed in it, we forget the time

Many of us have a habit of binge watching episodes and because we are too engrossed in it, we forget the time. And for hours and hours are stuck into the series. Also, so slowly, without even realising, we may develop a habit of procrastination. We may even lose contact with real life people. Plus, many-a-times, social media includes mature content and even hate comments on your post can generate negativity in your mind...

 Plus, many-a-times, social media includes mature content and even hate comments on your post can generate negativity in your mind

And now let's come to the perspective of teenagers. Social media and games are a huge source of entertainment and a worldwide platform to showcase your talent. Also, social media gives a chance to communicate with a mass of people at the same time. Our interaction with people staying miles away increases.

Also, we get a chance to gain knowledge on various topics, meet people with the same passion, be a part of fandoms, and the list goes on.

But now that we see, that both the parents and the teenagers are right, we need to solve the problems faced by both.

First is awareness and alertness,
Many times there are fake accounts and people who may blackmail you on various topics. You need to be aware and alert so that you don't be a prey for them.

Second is creating a timetable,
You need to manage your studies, your job, along with using social media and games.. so it's very necessary to make a timetable.

Third is comprehend criticism,
Whether it is constructive criticism or whether it is just a negative comment meant to hurt you.

Fourth is let go,
Social media is not your whole life. Learn to let it go once in a while.

Fifth is increase communication,
Between parents and children.

This is just what I feel when it comes to social media. Feel free to add on what you think should be included and comment about it.

************************

This is Maanvi Bhagat
signing out.

Blog credits : maanvibhagat