STORIES OF THE PIOUS HAZRAT FUDHAYL (R.A)

Piety of Fudhail bin Iyyaadh

1. Prior to his reformation and renunciation of the world, Hadhrat Fuzail was the chief of a band of highway robbers. He operated in the desert attacking and looting passing caravans. Even while a bandit he wore simple garments of sackcloth and a woollen cap. A tasbeeh was always strung around his neck. When his band of dacoits brought their plunder, he would take whatever he desired and distribute the remainder among them.

Although his profession was dacoity, he always performed Salaat in Jamaat. He would expel any member of his band, who did not participate in Jamaat Salaat.
Another noble trait in him was that he had strict instructions for observing the Purdah of the female travellers in the caravans. Sufficient means for continuance of the caravan's journey were also left with the people. Fuzail Bin Iyaaz would also keep account of the persons and the amounts he robbed. (Allah Ta'ala had wonderful plans for Hadhrat Fuzail, hence these noble characteristics were in him despite him being the leader of dacoits.)

2. Once a big caravan laden with wealth had to pass through the territory where Fuzail's bandits operated. As the caravan approached his territory, the people were gripped by fear and worry. Before entering into the feared zone, a man who had brought along considerable wealth thought of burying his wealth in the wilderness. Even if the caravan is looted, his gold and silver would be safe. While searching in the wilderness for a convenient place to conceal his gold, he came across a tent in which a buzrug was sitting on his musalla engrossed in Thikrullah. This was an ideal place to hide the gold. He spoke to the buzrug who indicated to the merchant to leave the bag in one corner of the tent. After doing do, he left for the caravan.

As expected, Fuzail's bandits looted the caravan. After the robbers had left, the merchant returned to the tent to reclaim his wealth. When he reached the tent, he was shocked to discover that all the bandits were there dividing the loot. Now to his dismay he realised the 'buzrug' was Fuzail, the leader of the bandits. He lamented the fact that he had destroyed his wealth with his own hands.

When Fuzail saw the merchant, he called him. Full of fear, the merchant stepped forward. Fuzail asked: "What do you want?" Merchant: "I came for my amaanat (trust) which I left by you." Fuzail: "Take it from where you had left it." At first the merchant thought Fuzail was mocking him. However, when Fuzail insisted, the merchant took his bag. Surprised and amazed he left for the caravan.

In surprise, the robbers asked: "Why did you return his money? We did not obtain any money in this caravan." Fuzail said: "He trusted me and entertained a good opinion of me. I, therefore, honoured his trust. I hold a good opinion of Allah Ta'ala. By His fadhl, He too will uphold my hopes in His mercy."

After this episode, the bandits looted another caravan in which they had acquired much wealth. When they sat down to eat, one of the travellers asked for their leader. The bandits said: "He is at the riverside engaged in Salaat."
Traveller: "This is not the time for Salaat."
Bandit: "He engages in Nafl Salaat."
Traveller: "Why does he not eat with you?"
Bandit: "He is fasting."
Traveller: "It is not Ramadhaan."
Bandit: "He keep Nafl fasts."

Hearing this, the traveller was very surprised. He went to Fuzail and asked: "Tell me, what relationship is there between robbery and Salaat, Saum?"
Fuzail: "Do you know the Qur'aan?"
Traveller: "Yes."
Fuzail: "Did you not recite the aayat:

This reply surprised the traveller even more. He left wondering at the condition of this leader of the bandits.

3. In the beginning he was deeply in love with a woman. He would send his share of the looted wealth to this woman.

4. One night when a caravan entered Fuzail's territory, he heard a Qari reciting:

"What! Has the time not arrived for the believers that their hearts mellow with fear for the thikr of Allah?"

This aayat struck Fuzail's heart like an arrow. He exclaimed: "Alas! How long will I continue ruining my life with banditry? The time has arrived for travelling in the path of Allah." He was overcome with profound regret and wept abundantly. He resolved to reform himself.