1

Monica was happy. Her dreams were closer than ever to come to fruition. She'd worked hard to become an APRN, she was now Doctor of Nursing. The title made her giggle, look ma I'm a Dr. without the debt. Her ultimate goal was to become a holistic medical practitioner, like the one that had helped her dad all those years ago. Only one more year at the hospital for the funds, a few more weeks with her herbalist for training, a few months with her garden and she'd have her own office specializing in herbal and alternative medications. Life was looking GREAT!

No one saw it coming, I mean someone saw it but it wasn't any of us.

Summer, while great once ya got to the lake, was a bitch to hike in. As we packed up to leave, Greg -my boyfriend, Greg's brother- Andrew, and friend- Craig showed up. Greg had invited them along, goody more guys. Nothing like tramping through a gorgeous field listening to a bunch of guys brag about their latest bed buddy. Greg and I had been dating for several years, he had recently been hinting about taking it to the next level. Moving in and having sex, being full partners. I was thinking more along the lines of breaking up and seeing other people. Yeah, we were broken, how did he not see it?

"Babe, we're ready. Get a move on." Greg bellows from the living room of my home.

"Babe", sarcasm dripping off my tongue. "I'm in the car. Waiting on you."

I can hear his brother, Andrew cracking on him about not keeping up with his woman. His friend Craig says nothing, Craig has only recently returned from military service. I can see the shadows in his eyes, but I know I can't help him until he wants to accept help.

"Where's my stuff?" Greg and the guys have made it to the car, only Craig has his gear.

"Where did you leave it?" This is one of the reasons I want out. I'm his girlfriend not his mother or valet.

"I thought you had it." His tone is getting aggravated.

"Why would I have your stuff?" It's getting stuffy in the car, either we need to go or I'm getting out and staying home.

"One-minute man", Andrew lopes back into the house and returns with the two packed bags.

"This is why we need to move in together, the stuff would be ours and you would know where it all is." He smirks, getting into the driver's seat. The other two toss their bags into the trunk and take their places in the back seat. He reaches over to grab my hand, I pull away. He snatches my hand up, Andrew pulls back as Craig moves forward. "Don't pull away from me." Kissing the back of my hand he gives it a firm squeeze before releasing me. "Is MY GIRL, ready to go?" Greg glares at Craig via the rearview mirror, they're having a conversation and it's all about power. Greg backs down when Craig leans back, it's a draw but knowing Greg he tallies it as a win.