The Rainy Evening

After one month of rigorous treatment, I resumed school again. According to the doctors, I have always been depressed, most probably from a young age.

Now everybody was being very tender with me like I am a fragile flower and might fall off the tree anytime if they touch me. I enjoyed it, especially since in math tuition I was given less homework. Most students didn't know about my diagnosis, they only thought I tried to commit suicide. 

Rumours die eventually

But Ani was there; he knew the truth, and I wanted more from him; I don't what I wanted but I did. 

Sadly he had stopped sneaking glances at me.

To be quite honest, that is the only thing that made me more depressed.

One day something happened...

We had our tuitions at 3 p.m. It was extremely cold.

Above all, it was raining. This kind of weather makes me happy what other people find depressing.

I know I am weird.

I was walking towards my destination as it was raining and no vehicle was available. But the worst thing I did was not bringing an umbrella as it started raining after I went out.

My royal blue trench coat was enough to protect me from cold but didn't have a hood...

Anyway as I marched on, my back leaned forward by the weight of books I was supposed to carry! I sensed something.

Someone was following me.

Cautiously I looked backwards, and I realized I was right.

A ragged looking man around his 30s shrouded in the cheap woollen shawl was following me.

There weren't many people on the road as they were marching for their own business.

My sixth sense immediately instigated about the man's malicious intents as I knew I was about to enter a deserted alley that will lead to sir's class.

Shall I run?

Shall I scream?

Shall I hit him in the bollocks?

I could again fill the road ahead getting slimy. I was dissociating again.

He already had me...

but suddenly...a rather tender hand held my hand and prevented me from falling. The same kind of hand put his another one around my waist and staggered along with me into the alley.

I didn't know who was the person holding me but looked back again and saw the vermin standing far away looking dumbfounded.

"Where the hell is your umbrella?!", my rescuer almost screamed.

Now I took a good look at the guy and realize it's Ani.

My straight hair was soaking wet as it was dripping water and so was his. He must have been behind me and that creep and lost his own umbrella in the process.

Since I was still in a dissociative state I was having trouble making out of everything Ani was saying.

Somehow he understood and we both entered alleyway and stood under the roof of an abandoned house. He ruffled his wet hair as I cocooned myself with my coat.

It was pouring, our backpacks were soaked and I was wondering if we'd even make it to the tuition because I did not want to. Guess the reason?

From the corner of my eyes, I was eyeing Ani. Even though a while ago he was holding me close but now he was keeping a safe distance from me. 

I turned my eyes away and looked down at the dirty floor feeling a bit down.

"Want one?"- I was startled at the sudden conversation as  I saw him offer me a cigarette!

"You smoke?!", I asked in disbelief

"Problem?"

"It just doesn't seem like you would do such rebellious things as a 'golden boy'". I chuckled.

Oh, fuck why did I say 'Golden boy'!

I wanted to hide my head in the ground like an ostrich.

I turned my face towards him and saw a kind of mild disgust but that turned into a crooked smile.

God. He. Was. Beautiful. 

And was I the only one who saw that? The person behind the glasses, the teacher's pet, the introverted genius had a sense of humour after all and don't know why I felt so fortunate to see that side of him.

Then he did something unbelievable,

No, he did not sweep me off of my feet and snogged me!  (even though I wanted that)

He just grabbed my satchel and pulled out my math book.

"Hey hey, sir what are you doing?", I protested.

But I was too late.

My math book was on fire. He burned the pages with his stupid lighter.

I looked at the darkened and wrinkled page as the formulas burned and my heart was filled with dreadful freedom.

His eyes were also gleaming with certain satisfaction but I didn't know if he had a God complex thinking burning a book will end my sufferings.

"wh--why did you do that? My father would kill me and bring three more copies", I almost chocked

"Then bring them to me, we will burn them together. If he brings more and we will burn them again. Until you rise from your ashes and fly like a Phoenix bird..."

By now I was crying.

"What do YOU want Romita?"- he asked

The book has reduced to ashes and there were only embers

"I want to go to Art college or film school", I couldn't believe that I actually said that.

"Cool!", he picked up his satchel and said "it is pointless now to go to tuition"

Since the rain had stopped we started walking again.

I told him half of the truth.

I also wanted him.