chapter twelve

She couldn't kiss her. If she kissed her, it would have made everything too real. It only would have confused her even more, and that's the exact opposite of what she wanted. Things were going so well for her, for her and Korra. Their friendship was beyond describable and they've only really known each other for about four months. What they had was something that Asami couldn't ever even want to imagine losing.

The heiress didn't want to walk away and leave her friend all alone at a club the night before her birthday, but it didn't seem like she had many other options. What could she have done? Kissed Korra and made her think they were going to get into some kind of ... relationship? 

Why did she even try to kiss me?

Does she actually see me that way?

We were both kind of tipsy, though. That stuff happens all the time.

She tried to lie to herself, or push away the thought to the very back of her mind, but it kept coming back nearly every other minute. There was a small part of her that actually wanted Korra to kiss her. The idea of tasting the tan woman's lips had become way too apparent. Korra looked so beautiful while they were dancing together. Asami thought back on the way their bodies moved in such sync, it was mesmerizing and addicting. It felt so good. She couldn't help herself but to pull Korra closer to her. The way the shorter woman's eyes never broke contact with her. The way her breath hitched at moments and was let out heavily on to Asami's chest or neck gave her skin, hopefully unnoticeable, goosebumps. The engineer wanted to stare and admire Korra for as long as she would let her.

But then, she began to lean in, and that all stopped. It had to.

When Asami walked away, she wasn't all too sure where exactly to go. Of course she wouldn't fully leave Korra at the club, so she found a smaller bar off to the side to sit at. There were only three empty stools, and two of them were out of view of the dance floor. With that, she took her place at the last one on the end. 

I still should be able to spot her easily ... if I need to.

The bartender came up to the raven haired woman and asked if she was in need of a drink. Asami decided on a virgin beverage since her previous intoxication had mostly died down completely. The bartender whipped up her drink rather quickly, sliding it down the glass surface into the palm of the pale woman's hand. She took a few sips and turned around in her stool to look back at the dance floor. From where she was, she couldn't really see Korra. There were way too many people in the area. 

What's she doing right now?

Is she looking for me?

Is she upset with me? Is she angry? Is she hurt?

Is she okay? Is she with anyone?

Hundreds of negative thoughts swarmed her head, and it made her groan in frustration while pressing on her temples slightly. The loud music didn't help.

This is so messed up.

Asami sat there by herself, slowly sipping on her drink. It seemed as if an hour had passed since she got to the mini bar, and not a sign of Korra. This made her even more worried as to where her friend could be. If Korra was looking for her, she would have found her already. So that means she wasn't.

I am such an idiot.

Who leaves their friend at a club all alone?

AND IT'S HER BIRTHDAY IN A FEW HOURS!

I am officially the worst friend in the world.

She was about to leave her seat, when her eyes landed on something all by themselves. Her face dropped when the southerner finally made an appearance through the crowd.