Roses

Hey I'm back. Jk jk im gonna disappear again for 92 days once I upload this. I haven't rlly been into musicals lately but this idea came to me in a dream and I couldn't not. Enjoy!! 1/27/21

---

Jared POV

"Roses can mean a lot more than love." Zoe said as her, Evan and I walked down the aisles of a flower shop. She picked up a bouquet of peach flowers and held them out to us, "Like peach flowers often represent gratitude and thanks."

The three of us have been out all day downtown, jumping from shop to shop and just browsing. It was Zoe's idea, I promise. 

could go on about how this was a waste of time and money, but that would be a lie. I'm actually having a lot of fun. 

"I never knew you were a rose enthusiast." I commented, picking a blue petal off a rose beside me subconsciously.

Zoe shrugged, "It's just something I picked up, I guess!" She turned to the flower I had just ripped and picked it up,"Blue flowers mean mystery. They--"

She went on, but I tuned out, not really caring all that much. Don't get me wrong, flowers are cool and all, but I didn't really feel like this was information I was going to be needing. 

My gaze turned to Evan, who was fixated on Zoe as she spoke, consuming every word that was coming out of her lips. I doubt he actually cared about what she was saying, though. I mean, she's Zoe . He'd always stare at her when given the chance.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. Zoe's great and all but goddamn Evan can you just look at me for once.

Zoe actually knows about my feelings for Evan. I don't know how it happened, but one day she brought it up offhandedly. And who was I to try and disagree?

(Actually, I disagreed very much. I knew that Evan liked her so maybe he'd have a chance with her if I told her she had no competition. But I guess I wasn't very convincing.)

From then, it seemed like she'd been trying to get Evan and I in the same rooms together. It's like she's trying to play matchmaker, but I don't think she realizes that she isn't really helping. She's just making me feel like a third wheel. I haven't gone anywhere with Evan without Zoe in months. 

But I'm grateful, nonetheless. It's nice to know someone has hope for him and I getting together.

"The only ones that really represent love are the red ones." Zoe concluded her monologue on flowers, and Evan nodded, keeping eye-contact with Zoe.

We went to eat lunch after that, at a local diner with rectangular tables outside. We ordered and walked towards the tables, Evan by Zoe’s side the entire time.