Very Bitter Tea

Mob shuddered as he sat down with Hotaru and her aunt. "And so I have come to the conclusion that grandmas are scary."

Hotaru's aunt burst out into loud laughter. "How on earth did you come to such a conclusion, Hope?!"

Hotaru, on the other hand, held a very serious expression. "You're right, Hope. Grandmas are terrifying. They are like another type of species."

Mob looked up at her with a hopeful gaze. "They really are..."

At this moment, Hotaru's aunt started to pound her hand against the table as she laughed even harder than before. By the time she finally calmed down, she then talked to them in a normal tone. "But you know... I think urban legends are scarier than grandmas."

"Ehhh?" Hotaru pouted a little. "Urban legends are fun to listen to though... I never took auntie to be the type to get scared of such things..."

Mob fidgeted with the cup. "Urban legends aren't scary at all... at least, compared to the grandmas."

The two paused, clearly lingering in their thoughts. Suddenly, they shuddered in horror before smiling at each other in amusement.

Hotaru's aunt sighed a little before pouring Mob some tea.

"So Hope, do you have any urban legends that you know about? I want to hear some!" Hotaru's eyes seemed to sparkle with anticipation.

"...Okay. I'll tell you some." Mob smiled at her nervously. That was when he sipped his tea before spitting it out in one go. "W-what kind of t-tea is this?!" It was so bitter that his entire mouth felt horrible. His face began to turn pale.

Hotaru's aunt and Hotaru burst out into short laughter. "I-it's a very bitter tea... W-we... succeeded in...pranking y-you!" Hotaru grabbed at her stomach as if to stop herself from laughing too much.

Mob sighed at the two. "Please don't joke around too much."

"Sorry about that, Hope. I couldn't stop her from brewing that." Hotaru's aunt replied with a sheepish smile.

"Okay, okay..." Hotaru went behind the counter. "I'll brew you a really good one. No more jokes, okay?"

"...Okay." Mob nodded in agreement and then he muttered to her. "Maybe you two are scarier than urban legends and grandmas."

"EHHH?!" Hotaru cried out. "Whyyy?! I'm sorry! I won't do it again! So don't be mad anymore, Hope!"

Mob let out a small laugh. He smiled warmly at the two. "I know. I was kidding. I'm not mad, Taru, so please brew me a tasty tea this time."

She sighed in relief before smiling brightly at him. "You got it!"