Chapter 2

I seemed to have arrived at the place Nelson told me to be at the right time

I seemed to have arrived at the place Nelson told me to be at the right time. I heard some familiar voices through the doors

'Where are the girls? I thought you said Lauren and Rachel were coming'

I began walking to the door when I felt a tap on my shoulder which caused me to gasp and turn around quickly "Woah relax its just me" she whispered "Oh hey Rachel" I whispered back in relief.

We both Walked through the doors and saw Nelson, Joe Hurley, and Randall Steckle before us.

"I'm gonna draw 20 CC's You handle the injections. When the E.E.G flatlines, the brain is dead I'll be exploring. Gimme 30 seconds. Flip the blanket on to "warm". Take me up to 93 degrees slowly. Inject one CC of adrenaline. And at one minute Joe you come in with the defibs. And you bring me back to life" Nelson instructed to Joe and Steckle.

"With brain damage..." I said which caused them to finally notice me and Rachel. Nelson seemed happy that we both decided to show. "Resembling in many ways...a cabbage patch doll?" Rachel finished for me after shutting both doors.

"Not with a body temperature of 86 degrees" Nelson spoke injecting a small amount of liquid into the air from the syringe in his hand. "Dr. Smith, Dr. Manus...will you two handle the injections?" He asked us.

I looked at Manus thinking are we really going to do this?. I could tell by the look on her face that she knew what was I thinking so she nodded to me simply before I sighed nodding to Nelson in affirmation which caused him to form a small smile on his face.

"Wait a minute. Wait. Quite simply, why are you doing this?" Steckle asked with anxiety laced in his voice

"Quite simply to see if there's anything out there beyond death. Philosophy failed. Religion failed. Now its up to the physical sciences. I think man kind disserves to know" Nelson answered matter of factly. I merely rolled my eyes at him I knew that all this wasn't completely for mankind and everyone else there could probably see it too.

"So your doing This for mankind?" Joe asked with a little bit a doubt. "This letter absolves you of any responsibility, just in case". Nelson said ignoring his question before handing him an envelope. I walked up next to Joe standing with my head over his shoulder so I could read what the letter had to say for myself.

"This isn't for mankind. This for Nelson" Randy stated. "Why do I suddenly see you on 60 minutes sandwiched in between Andy Rooney and a Subaru commercial 'Tonight a brilliant young medical student who dared to experience death and come back'". Steckle said with sarcasm. I laughed to myself but Nelson seemed to be ignoring him while he took his shirt off and applied electrodes to his chest.

"Fame is inevitable!" Nelson suddenly stated. "That's the wrong reason" Rachel said. "It's the right idea" he said turning around showing muscled arms and chest. My heart rate picked up and my cheeks got a little warm at the sight but I looked down and continued to read the letter before someone could see me starting. "Dr. Smith electrodes. Come on Joe don't you wanna be on 60 minutes?" He said.