Chapter 4

Lauren's Outfit above /\

While I injected adrenaline into the IV fluids, Labracio hit Joe with the defibrillators.

"CLEAR"

Joe's body jolted but there was no pulse.

"Nothing. Starting CPR. 1-1000, 2-1000, 3,000, 4-1000, 5-1000, breath"

"CPR, and adrenaline and nothing!"

"1:45"

"What is going on here? Come on Joe?" Nelson says frustratedly pumping Joe's chest. Nelson beginning to get too rough and began pumping too fast.

"Come on Nelson let me try" Labracio asks. Nelson continues, ignoring him

"We're running out of time!" Rachel yells

"...2-1000, 3-1000"

"Come on Nelson lemme try" David begs him. "I'm doin everything I FUCKING CAN, breath" Nelson snaps.

"Let him try"

"Nelson step back"

"Nelson step aside now!" I yell

"COME ON JOE!" Nelson threw a fit slamming his fist on Joe's chest . David shoved him aside before resuming compressions. "1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, 4-1000, 5-1000, breath".

I gave Nelson a look, but he just stalked off running a hand through his hair. After another minute of CPR, Joe came to coughing and gasping for air.

"Got him. O2"

"O2 Up"

"CPR successful, Hurley lives" Steckle says into his cassette recorder. I caught David and Rachel sharing a glance, Rachel actually sort of smiled. I could tell that something was brewing between them

Nelson looked at me rather dejected.

*****

Later on that night, we all went to a diner. We were all sitting around our table peppering Joe with questions. Some of us more interested than the others. I knew I was

"It was great" he says

"Here it goes" Labracio scoffs rolling his eyes. "Why don't you just let him talk, Dave" Nelson defends. "I don't know it's--it's not thinking about the past or the future. I don't. It's difficult to explain. Maybe impossible"

"Yeah dying is funny that way" Labracio says.

"Dave Nelson's right. There definitely is activity beyond death" Joe agrees

"Absolutely" Nelson says picking up his cup of coffee with a cigarette burning between his fingers.

"The experience was strange. It was almost...erotic" Joe further describes. "He's dead and he gets laid" Steckle says into his recorder

"No, No, No. Wait a second. What do you mean, erotic?". Nelson asks him.

"I don't want you to think that it was...casually, wantonly, sexual by any means" Joe backpedals.

"That never would've occurred to me in a million years. No way" Steckle jokes causing to let out a small giggle.

"It was something--It was friendly. I don't know just something vaguely feminine guiding me" Joe tells us

"This could be the conquest of our generation. The last great frontier" Steckle perceives. "Look, first you had the sea, then america, then the west, the moon, Mr. Leary, drugs, the inner journey, Miss Maclaine, and out illustrious former former first Lady, the outer journey. But this is ours" he says.