The Journey of Walking through a Blizzard with Dystopian Music

We walked back to my house from Mrs. Castellano's bakery through a stirring blizzard, with the taste of almond biscottis and tiramisu still lingering my mouth. The snow was landing on my face with an unpleasant stinging feeling, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the snow seeping through my sneakers. In fact, the snow got so thick so quickly, I had resorted to holding Orenda's hand again. My trusty white cane wasn't too great with the fluffy knee-high snow, the snow I've gotten so used to.

        "She's a good baker." I told Orenda, as she pulled me away from an incoming obstacle that I bumped into, just fast enough so that I wouldn't trip over it. My shin throbbed.

        "She's practically good at everything." 

        "She is a mom."

        "Moms know it all, don't they?" She joked.

I kept walking, while straightening my glasses every so often. Even though I had gotten used to the brain squishing feeling they gave me, they were still too small and still too childish. My feet started to lose their feeling, along with my nose, and that's when Orenda dusted off (or more like pushed off a trillion pounds, since I could hear a tremendous thump fall on the ground) of snow on a bench somewhere and said, "I need to rest."

        Well, considering she had ran through snow while directing and pulling a blind boy, it was normal for her to be tired. But, she was heaving and groaning and maybe even crying; which either meant she was being too dramatic or she was really not okay.

        I sat down on the bench beside her, trying to face her way. "Are you o-"

        "YES! I'm great." She said, still out of breath. "Let's go."

        "We can wait for a while." 

        "Nope. I'm all better. Alright, let's go." She grabbed my hand again and we continued walking.

When we reached my open window, and I could feel the heat seeping through it, Orenda and I said our goodbyes, as usual. Her heavy footsteps trudged away and I climbed into my room and fell on the ground, (face-first might I add) and dusted myself off. I closed the window, the coldness leaving and the warmth enveloping me.

        It never occurred to me why exactly Orenda would want to hang out with me and give me free food; because let's face it, if people give you free food, there's something going on. Sometimes I thought it would be because she was lonely and as desperate for a friend as me - even though I had Egan. Although, he was the kind of friend that would help me beat the specially hard levels on the video games, listen to all my blind person troubles, and come and tell me about his exciting 'normal' life while I sit on the hardwood floor in my room going, "uh huh. Yeah. I see. Beat him up. She's into you, man."

        Or maybe there was even the slight chance that she liked me.

The cold snow was sneaking its way into my system, making me start to shiver. I took off my shoes, socks, and jacket first then threw them aside, and listened carefully for breaking glass or a bang! of any sort. Then I proceeded to taking off my pants and rummaging through my clothes pile for the fabric that I recognized as jeans. My dad always told me that when in doubt, always go for jeans. He said that I could wear a doughnut and guess what? Jeans would match it and jeans would make me look all cool and jeans were the reason that I had friends. By 'friends', he meant Egan. 

        Speaking of the devil, once I found my jeans and started feeling for the top, my dad's booming voice said, "where you been, Finn?"

        "DAD! WHAT THE HELL?!? I'M NOT WEARING PANTS!" I screamed and flopped around, trying to get my jeans on, but I didn't know where to stick my feet so I just collapsed on the floor. He was laughing and I was downright furious.