Chapter Ten | Wake-up Call

It was five-thirty when Ryan was nudged awake. He was rather sure he was alone when he went to sleep and only two people had access to his apartment.

He sat up to see the figure standing next to the bed looking as if she had a nightmare. Once Ryan realized it was his daughter he turned the light on only for her to sign a mile a minute.

"Woah, what's wrong, Love?"

She stopped signing for a moment and took a seat on the bed cross-legged.

'I don't want to go anymore,' she continued just as quickly as she signed before.

"Go where?" Ryan was still half-asleep and trying to understand her signs the best he could.

'Tomorrow,' she clarified.

"Why? You will do just fine. Plus it will be close enough I can come to visit you and embarrass you in front of all your new friends," he said with a yawn.

He knew she didn't want to go nor did she want to live on the school grounds. However, it was one of the things she would be grateful for in the future. She just needed a little push to get used to the change.

'I have the social skills of a rock,' she deadpanned.

Ryan wanted to laugh but refrained knowing it wasn't meant as a joke. "You do not. You've gotten your social skills from me and it's one of my better qualities."

She raised a brow. 'Do you really want me to end your whole career before coffee?'

"Why don't I make something to eat and you make the coffee?" Ryan asked, changing the topic.

She nodded in agreement.

Ryan threw on a plain blue t-shirt and followed Ember out to the kitchen.

The lights were on and Ember had the blanket from the couch wrapped around her as she added the water to the coffee pot.

Ryan got to work on making breakfast as she took a seat at the table and watched out the window.

"You know whatever Carmon tells you today, don't listen to her. Her only college experience consists of boobs and drugs," he said casually.

Luckily it did get her to smile a little before she signed: 'She already told me most of her stories.'

Ember got up and turned some music on as Ryan added some fruit to the bowls of oatmeal.

Outside it was still dark, the glow of the city lights made the perfect shadows in the apartment. It was something that no matter how long Ryan had lived there, he didn't think he'd ever get used to it.

"Why don't you want to go tomorrow?" Ryan asked.

'I don't know. Anxiety stuff I guess. She sat back down holding on to the blanket to keep herself grounded. 'New people and stuff.'

She looked up from the table and as Ryan brought over the food and sat down her eyes widened slightly.

Ryan raised a brow at her.

"What?" He questioned. Turning to make sure no one was behind him. He turned back, meeting her eyes again.

She was laughing now with a sly grin. 'Have fun last night?'

Before Ryan could question what that meant she signed again. 'Your neck, dumbass.'

Ryan didn't bother hiding the groan that escaped his mouth. He hated marks unless he was giving them and even then he was particular. He liked to be the person claiming the other as his own rather than having someone do that to him. However, there was something different this time. He didn't feel the disgust he normally would have, it was just a simple inconvenience this time.