The Aftermath

"Thanks for inviting me over," Virgil said, stretching his wings. "Heads-up, I might need to clock out at some point. Mortals never stop dying."

Roman shook his head fondly. "Well, that's what I get for dating the god of death. Just as long as we don't have a repeat of last week."

"Hey, not my fault that you decided you wanted to have a romantic evening when I told you seven times that the Fates decided it was time for that philosopher dude to finally croak." Virgil tucked a stray lock of hair behind Roman's ear, smirking. "Still, though. I did enjoy it."

"Well, that's good. I was afraid I was losing my touch." Roman grinned. "So, shall we... pick up where we left off?"

"Why the hell not," Virgil decided, pulling him in by his quiver strap. "But take this thing off, though. Don't think lying on it would be too comfy."

Roman instantly took it off and tossed it into a nearby pillar. "There we go."

Virgil threw his arms around his neck and started kissing him. Roman kissed him back, holding him close.

After a few seconds, Virgil wrapped his wings around Roman, too---just in case someone happened to walk in. A little privacy never hurt.

BAM!

"ROMAN, I DEMAND THAT YOU RETURN... my... son..."

Virgil instantly stepped away from Roman when he spotted the scythe-wielding goddess staring at them, looking extremely confused.

"Oh, hey, Demeter!" Roman peeped, waving. "Have you met my boyfriend? Virgil? God of death?"

"Your... your boyfriend?" Demeter muttered, looking back and forth between them.

"Yeah. We've been together for months now." Virgil nudged Roman. "Been dancing around each other for a couple centuries, though. Ro's not the easiest god to fall for, with all the boyfriends he's been going through."

"You're not the easiest god to fall for, either," Roman reminded him. "You're the personification of death. Our evenings are always interrupted by the fact that you have to run off and collect a soul."

"Hey, sometimes Janus takes care of them."

Demeter's face fell. "So... so you're not in love with Patton after all, are you?"

"Nope!" Roman said. "Very dear friends. Nothing more." He noticed the scythe. "Is... is something wrong? You usually only bring that out for serious business."

She stared at him for a few minutes, then started to cry.

"Oh! Hey! Demeter! It's fine! Please, sit down," Roman babbled, leading her to the couch.

Virgil gave her a concerned look. "What's wrong?"

"The---the god that Patton was seeing---he---" Demeter choked back a sob. "I'm so sorry for suspecting you, Roman. I judged too easily---"

"Demeter." Virgil put a hand on her shoulder. "What happened?"

She lifted her head, tears streaming from her eyes. "Patton was kidnapped last night. Sometime during the party."

Oooooooh shit. Oh shit. Oh holy fucking shit.

"Do you have any idea who it was?" he asked.

Demeter shook her head. "All I know is that some god wanted him, and they've been seeing each other from some time now. I had Patton break it off for his safety, but... whoever the god was, he didn't take no for an answer. I came back to find the window to his room smashed from the outside, and my son gone."