Prologue

"I can't do this anymore, Haz."

A pained expression on his face.

The glass shattered into a thousand pieces at the same moment as his heart.

The boy with the emerald eyes had dropped it in horror.

He hadn't taken good enough care of it. He hadn't held it tightly enough.

Instead, with all the courage he could summon, he had taken it in his small hands and given it, with everything he had, everything he lived for and everything he needed, to the boy with the beautiful blue eyes. He was to possess everything he had, what he lived for and what he needed. The boy with the beautiful blue eyes was to be everything he had, what he lived for and what he needed.

That had been in the beginning. Back then ... in the very beginning.

After the first scar, he had wanted to take better care of it. He had wanted to hold it tightly enough. Promise, he had whispered.

And yet he had given it away again and again. Given away to the boy with the beautiful blue eyes, to whom it actually belonged, had always belonged and would always belong.

I can't do this anymore, Haz

Now it was broken again.

And he sat in front of the splinters. Desperately, he began to gather the shards together, just as he had done the last few times. He cradled them in his arms and held them as tightly as he could, no matter how much they hurt him, cut into his skin and left deep scratches. He just couldn't let go. After all, it was all he had, all he lived for, all he needed.

I can't do this anymore, Haz.

The boy with the emerald eyes knew he would give it away again if he could. He would do it again and again, if there was anything left to give away.

Right now, however, everything he could have given away had been blown into thousands and thousands of pieces. Pieces that he was no longer able to put together on his own this time.

That was probably the sad thing about it.

Only the one to whom it belonged had the power to put his heart completely back together again, to heal it entirely.

And that was not himself.

It had not belonged to him for a long time.