Chapter 4

November 20th, 2019・Anaya

I fanned my face as I walked through the streets of Sydney, finally stopping at the bus station. As hot as it was, I knew better than to think temperatures couldn't go any higher. Unfortunately, autumn was still far away, though leaves falling in the middle of March was still something I had to get used to. I sat under the shade of the awning on a blue metal bench, twisting open the cap of my water bottle. This place is so different from home, I thought before reminding myself that this was home now. Home was somewhere you can always come back to. Sydney was home now, because I didn't know where else to go.

"Penny for your thoughts?" A voice said beside me and I flinched in surprise. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"Unless you want a boring story, my thoughts are useless." I said, absentmindedly fiddling with the hem of my shirt.

"Not to me. How've you been, Anaya?" I frowned in confusion and looked up to see the first familiar face I've seen in over a year, breaking into his trademark grin.

"Jai!" I wasn't sure how to greet him, so I smiled brightly. "It's been a while. How are you?" I asked him, looking down as I remembered the last time we saw each other.

"I asked you first." He paused, so briefly I almost missed it and smirked, resuming his behaviour, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"I've been good. I just started working for the United Daily News. Well, interning, actually, but I've been selected for an actual position and I start in February. It's a small job, not much investigative journaling to be done, but it's enough for now. You?"

"I'm still in California, in the IT field. I work for Cabbage Corp."

"How predictable."

"You didn't let me finish. I took some classes, and I write in my free time."

"Not bad, Jai, not bad. Can I--"

"No."

"You don't even know what I'm asking."

"No, you may not read my work."

"But why bother writing if you won't let people read?"

"You can read if I ever start taking it seriously, okay?"

"Fine. What are you doing in Australia?"

"Taking a vacation. I love warm weather, and when temperatures started to dip, I came over. I get to work from home anyways, so as long as I'm productive I can be anywhere I want." He said, shrugging.

As I saw the bus coming closer, I had an idea. "Since you're here, do you want to come over?" I asked.

"Why not?"

"Well, this is my place." I unlocked my door and gestured to my living room. "Make yourself comfortable, I guess." I told him, shrugging

"How welcoming." He said sarcastically, flopping down on the couch. I stared at him for a moment, wondering how it was possible to know someone so well while barely knowing them at all. Here was Jai, who by all accounts isn't supposed to be a friend, especially after all we've been through, inside my home, settling in as if he'd visited countless times before.

"What are you looking at?" He asked, standing up.

I shook my head. "Nothing. Do you want something to eat?"

"Sure. Any ideas?"

"Nope."

"Good. You go relax, change, do whatever. I'll make something."