Kabanata 06

Kabanata 06

NICHOLAS

SINCE THAT night, I feel like Flavio and I became closer than we first met, I don't know if Flavio felt the same way but yeah that's what I feel. He talks too much when he got the time to talk to me, even when we were at the dinning table. He became closer to my family, which is his family also. Mama and Papa is treating him no difference like us, well it's from the very beginning, so no question about that. He laughed, joked and sometimes he got a period.

Sometimes, I still caught him sneaking out or sneaking in of the room at the middle of the night but that doesn't bother me anymore because everytime I ask him, his answer is the same. And I can't sense that he has a bad intention to my family so I just let him. And maybe, he was just refreshing his mind for him to remember where he came from. He maybe misses his family too much.

Right now, I'm inside our classroom and listening to the teacher when my phone suddenly rang. I closed my eyes so hard while picking it, when our teacher's voice filled the room. "Didn't I tell to silent your phones?" he said, nearly shouting. "Who's phone is that? You are disturb the--"

I raised my hand. "Maaari ko bang sagutin ginoo?" I gave him that nervous smile. He's a Filipino subject though.

"We're in the middle of discussion. Nich Douglas, you're a top student and you can't even follow the simple rule of my--"

"Ako'y humihingi ng tawad guro. Maaari ko na po bang sagutin ito?" I said.

"No. And silent your phone before I'll confiscate--"

"Paumanhin guro ngunit ang Ina ko ang tumatawag. Madalang siyang tumawag dahil sa ganitong oras, alam niyang nasa gitna ako ng klase. Kaya ako'y humihingi ng permiso sa iyo guro dahil paano nalang kung ang nakasalalay dito ay buhay, buhay na maililigtas ko sana kung ito'y aking sinagutan? Makakaya ba ng iyong konsensiya, na makita akong magdusa kung may buhay nga na nawala sa aking pamilya dahil lang sa hindi mo ako pinayagang sagutin ang tawag mula sa kanila?"

"Are you using your cleverness towards me Nich Douglas?" he asked.

Ngumiti ako rito. "Epektibo ba ginoo... na kalbo?" tanong ko pero pabulong lang sa dulo.

"I'll give you three minutes," he said in an authorized manner.

I stand on my sit and started walking while carrying the phone on my right hand. But before I step out of the room, I looked at my teacher. "Guro, sa susunod gamitin ang tamang lenggwahe na angkop sa ating asignatura at sa iyong propesyon dahil ano pa ang silbi sa paggugol mo sa kolehiyo para aralin ang Filipino kung gagamitin mo lang rin ang wika ng mga dayuhan." I smiled before closing the door.

Exactly as I walked out, my phone rang again. I answered the call when I saw the caller's ID. "Ma, bakit nasa gitna ako ng--"

"Hi, Nich Douglas." I was halted when I heard his voice. I didn't expect that he was on the other line, and his voice was calm so I think nothing bad happen. But why did he call?

"Where's Mama? Why are you holding her phone?" I asked. I heard people talking surrounds him and different horn of vehicles. "You're not in the house," I said. Not a question. "Where are you? Where's Mama?" I asked, again.

"Calm down. We went to a grocery and after, she let me stay outside the boutique and just hold the groceries. And if you'll gonna ask why she went in a boutique, she said she's going to buy some vitamins," he explained. "She let me used her phone to kill my boredom. And about the vitamins, she said it's for the health of your brain because she notice that, you know." After he said that, I heard him laughed his ass off.