Chapter Thirteen~ Recollections

"Alright, are you sure you are okay with going back to my grandma's this weekend? You don't have to come to Friday night's dinner. I can meet you at the party." I say to Logan.

He wraps his arms around my waist as we stand in the living room of our new apartment.

"I wouldn't want you driving up there on your own. Also, I think your Friday dinners are fun." Logan says.

I laugh, and I think of a dinner that wasn't particularly fun.

Hey! This is not going to happen. You're not going back out to your moonscape, you're not going back to work, and you're not going home. So now we all agreed to have Friday night dinner, and we're here, and I smell dinner, and, yes, apparently there are some issues to be worked out, but no one--- and I mean no one--- is leaving here until we do!

Things were out of control.

Not the point--simply not the--

It is completely the--

-Rory, do not cut your grandmother off.

Well,  I'm just saying--

You come running to us, begging us to take you in because you can't possibly deal with your mother.

That's not what happened.

We take you in. We pay to redecorate a pool house so you can have a place all your own.

I did not ask you to do that.

You accepted it. You did not turn it down. I didn't hear you saying, "grandma, stop." I didn't see you throw yourself at the decorators while they were putting up your very expensive wallpaper! Then when you decided you don't like how things are going, you leave!

With no notice, by the way, and you leave two strange boys in our house unsupervised.

We're missing two picture frames, by the way.

Colin and Finn did not steal your pictures!

Do not raise your voice to your grandmother!

I never realized how spoiled you were, Rory, but I guess that's to be expected. Only children are always spoiled.

I'm sorry I didn't leave a note.

My, that sounds heartfelt. Doesn't that sound heartfelt, Richard?

I've never been more touched in all my life.

I try to defend myself and you don't want to hear it. So, apparently, there's nothing I can do here.

Oh, there's plenty you can do.

What? What can I do?

Well, first of all, you can admit what you've done. You can apologize!

I was just trying to apologize!

Cut her some slack, mom! Rory was going through something terrible!

Life is full of terrible things, Lorelai.

She was emotional. When you're emotional, you don't think clearly.  I remember a woman who tried to buy a plane when her grandaughter moved out.

I tried to time-share a plane. It is in no way even close to the same thing.

I've never been so happy to see a salad in my entire life.

Ugh! I can't believe what I'm hearing!

If we'd known the extent of the issue we might not have taken Rory in.