Thirty-Eight

Fake Ron is wrapping a zip tie around Brittany's wrists as Zachary helps me toward the group.

"Who shot my sister?" he shouts.

My eyes lock on Roger but he won't look up from the ground as he clenches the rifle against his chest.

Is he afraid of my brother? Zachary is smaller than I am. Sure, he put some muscle on while he was in prison but Roger could pick him up with one hand and throw him if he wanted to.

I feel like a kid as I grin and say, "It was Roger."

Roger's head snaps up. His eyes narrow at me and I half expect him to call me a tattletale but instead he looks at Zachary and opens his mouth to say something, closes it again.

Zachary raises his eyebrows at him.

When did a twenty-something year old learn to strike so much fear into the heart of a grown man? I glance at Roger's kid who's standing partially behind him.

I want to hate him too but ultimately just feel bad. He's going to be so messed up when this is all over. I wonder if they'll put him on the same meds as me and brush the thought away. 

"I was trying to scare her into coming with me so I could bring her back to you," Roger explains. "I didn't mean to injure her."

Zachary rolls his eyes. "Someone call Chrissy. We need Jordan patched up and rested for tonight."

Ron pulls a walkie from his jacket pocket and hands Brittany over to Roger before he takes a few steps away.

"What's happening tonight?" I ask Zachary, but he ignores me and points the gun at Donna.

"Thank you for relaying my message," he says as he cocks the gun and flips the safety off.

"Wait!" Grace screams, her eyes wide with horror. "You said you'd let us go if we brought you Brittany."

I'm going to throw up. Maybe it's the blood loss, maybe it's the realization I might watch my friend get her brains blown across the snow.

"Yeah," Zachary nods. "She gets the easy way out while the three of you are staying for our festivities."

"Zachary. What the hell are you talking about?" Brittany snaps.

I can feel myself pulling against Zachary, drooping closer to the ground as every muscle in my body gives up.

Roger pulls his fist back. "Don't talk to him like that," he barks but Brittany only stares back.

I stiffen up. "Touch her and you die." My words are slurred so bad it surprises me when Roger glares back.

"Big talk for someone on the brink of death," he snarls.

I roll my eyes.

Brittany's watching me, chewing the inside of her cheek.

"Knock it off," Zachary orders and brings everyone's attention back to Donna. "I want to play a game with you." That evil glint has returned to his eyes, sending goosebumps up my arms. I remember that look from the night he tried to kill me half a year ago. If he's in the same mindset, talking sense into him will be impossible.

"Zach," Grace begs. "She doesn't have anything to do with this. Just let her go."

He turns the gun on Grace. "I'm not going to kill her," he promises. "I'm going to let fate decide." He hands me off to Roger and gives Donna a push toward the lake.