Chapter 21

A/N: this chapter is odd but I don't care because it's 1 AM and we're in the end game let's go

Before I could process anything, Shadow slid in front of me, bringing me to a halt, "Wait, Alkaid, we need to talk about this. What would Queraan want? Surely he wouldn't want you running into battle recklessly."

I knew she was right, we had to think about this rationally. But the mention of Queraan made my pelt itch. I needed to go. "We don't have time to-"

"-Caeli wasn't with the group of ghosts."

I furrowed my brows at the memory of Shadow throwing herself on Caeli's dead body in grief, "Are you sure?"

She nodded, "100% sure, which means she didn't go with Queraan. Look, there's something you should know. Caeli's spirit left us a message. She said she could be saved. Before they took her soul captive, she overheard the Sages saying she could be released with that cursed key Shzeltis has."

"The Sages? But they're all dead..." I pondered quietly, "That doesn't make any sense..."

"We have to save her! We should probably clean this all up too, they all deserve proper graves. But it's gonna take a while, so we might wanna do that after we've saved Caeli, right...? Alkaid!" my name snapped me out of my stupor.

"I-I know, I know. Hold on, I'm thinking," I paced into the manor, Shadow trailing behind asking what I was up to. Avoiding the drying blood and trying not to think about anything else, I hoisted Shadow up the broken grand staircase into the upper floors. We halted in my room where I took to rustling through my cabinet drawers.

Shadow dodged a sharp object I'd tossed behind me. "Whoa-! Sweets, what are you looking for?" At this point I had burrowed deep into the endless cabinet, digging for what I needed.

"How long have you had this...?" She trailed off.

"Where is it, where... AHA!" Shadow jumped at my exclamation. I struggled out of the void and slammed the drawer shut.

I revealed a glowing, smooth ball of ice that dispensed no chill. "I stole this from Shard many years ago. It's been infused with mine and Shard's magic, making it a very, very powerful object. It's the only form of a Circle I have, without all the power blocking. With this you'll be able to summon me with a little bit of blood and no incantation. It will also give you protection against any angelic magic," I held it out, "now put it inside your chest."

Her tail dropped, "What?!"

"We don't have pockets, where else are you going to keep this?" I joked. She gave me an odd stare. My pelt pricked awkwardly, "Just... here." I gently put the ball to her heart, "Will it to become one with you, and stay calm."

I put her paw under mine to hold the icy orb, giving her a reassuring smile. Then I backed up, floating off the ground slightly. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. After a while I was worried it wouldn't work and everything would go south. Then the glow grew more intense and the ball sunk into her chest. Releasing a silent breath of relief, she reopened her eyes.

"If you ever need it, just think about it and it'll reappear. Now you'll always have a way to get me home. No matter where, no matter how far, I'll be there with you. Protecting you."

Her eyes lit up, "Okay."

"Speaking of that, I've gotta call someone really quickly. Occupy yourself."