Chapter 19

(A/N): Smh this chapter is actually such a mess I'm so sorry. I wrote this so halfheartedly it's not well written in the slightest and is very long but I have to get it out

"Get him back here now," I held Kureba down by the shoulders and pushed his face into the stone. He writhed under my claws but to no avail.

"I-I can't! It's in his control, h-he decides where to come and go!"

"Alkaid."

"I swear if you cost me the last chance I might've had to kill that self-righteous bastard—"

"Alkaid!" Two voices yelled my name in unison. One was weak, the other was strong and passionate. Anger flaring, I whipped my head to snarl at those who'd interrupted me.

Shzeltis and Shadow.

Though he was mostly back to normal, Shzeltis wasn't looking too hot. There was black goo constantly creeping out of his nose and mouth, pooling around his paws. He leaned on Shadow, accidentally getting some gooey black residue stuck to her fur. She didn't seem to notice, however. She was too occupied with holding most of Shzeltis's weight.

The scientist's pale green glare pierced me. I could tell his jaw was clenched in pain and he was breathing heavily. I wanted to run over and heal him but the key that had been nagging my thoughts and tugging away my magic was still wrapped around my leg.

"Get off of him, Alkaid," Shzeltis spat, voice low. I hesitated, looking back down at the dusty tom under me. As soon as I released him, he scrambled up and dashed to his adoptive brother's side. Now I had three pairs of eyes staring me down.

"Kureba," I growled, "you're the reason they know who Shzeltis is. They found him through you."

"That's not—!"

"Don't deny it. He said it himself!"

"Hey! Don't pin this on my brother, you're who they want. Not me or him," Shzeltis regained his energy as his stepped between his brother and me. My tail fluffed up in agitation.

"Look at what Namiotai did to you! I have to avenge you, Shell!"

"Well you won't take it out on my brother! Or me! Your Circle is the reason I got goddamn tortured!"

Why would he say that—?! I opened my mouth for a sharp retort but Shadow spoke first, "Boys! Stop! All of you! You're acting like kits."

"I'm older than every single one of you," I stated.

"Someone's got an age complex..." I heard Kureba whisper. Shzeltis held back a humored laugh of disbelief. I flashed the apprentice priest a golden glare but otherwise decided to ignore it.

I leaned down and snapped the rope holding the golden key off my rear leg. Before I could pick it up, however, it shimmered and disappeared.

"Whoa!" Shadow exclaimed. The had key returned to Shzeltis's neck. I raised a brow.

"That's odd," I muttered absently.

"Indeed. I suppose that's a reaction to the Sage's magic," Kureba speculated.

"What's that mean?" Shadow tilted her head, taking in infinitesimal amounts of information.

"So that if the demon-"

"I have a name," I growled. Shzeltis stared at me pointedly for my hostility. I shut my mouth, staring back.

"If the demon takes off the key or isn't wearing it, it'll go back to Shzeltis. That way my brother is safe from his magic either way."