Chapter Two

The next day, Gwynn sat in another Healing class along with Enders. After the fight, they hadn't talked to each other once and Gwynn decided to break the ice.

"Enders—" she started.

"Changed your mind? Want to come? Too bad. I refuse to take you." He said quickly, and huffed angrily.

"No, of course not, why would I?" To tell the truth, she had thought about it once or twice, but would never admit it to her brother.

"I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry, we shouldn't have fought." Gwynn said as she tightened the bandage around a wooden dummy's arm.

"Well, I stand by what I said. You. Can't. Come." he said.

"Ugh, Enders, I don't want to." She responded. The bandage became tight on the arm of the dummy.

Enders said, "If you come, the plan will be messed up." His expression was hidden for a second, as he bent down to wrap his dummy's foot. However, Gwynn could tell that in his mind he was convinced she was planning on coming.

"I know what you're thinking," she said, upset.

"And here I thought you were just an elf, not a dwarf." He said, getting back up. "Look, when you finally admit you want to come, Feirn and I are meeting at the doors to the dining hall at twilight. I'll adjust the plan to fit you in."

"Enders!" she said, her voice rising.

"Have a nice day, sis." He said, apparently done taking care of his dummy.

"Oh, stop that!" she exclaimed. "You're acting so, so, so... casual!"

He had begun to walk away but turned as she said that and looked innocently at her.

"Is there something wrong with that? I'm a deviously sneaky sibling," he smiled and began to walk out, building up speed.

"Enders!" she yelled loudly standing up, before realizing that the class was staring at her. She hurried to sit back down and continued to tie the bandage, embarrassed as people began to whisper. Why did Enders have to be so awful?

Suddenly, the bandage she had pulled much too tautly tore and she fell out of her chair backwards. Under her breath, Gwynn whispered, "Why, Enders, why?"

The day passed painfully slowly after her last class Gwynn finally ran out of energy, in the early evening. She trudged to her dorm and flopped onto her bed, ignoring the piles and clothes and projects scattered across the blanket, and fell sound asleep for the rest of the night.

Or at least, that's what she tried to do. Instead, she woke up a few hours later, unable to sleep anymore. She now merely had time to think.

If she had gone with Enders to discover the dorm, what would've happened? Would she have gotten spooked? Would they get caught?

She lay there in her bed for over half an hour before curiosity began to get the better of her. Feirn had talked about what they could have found, and her brother was confident that it would be fine. After all, no one but advisors, the instructors, and her group of friends actually knew where the dorm was. Enders had said she could go— in fact he could be counting on her! He was adjusting the plan and they could get caught otherwise.

Gwynn leaped out of the bed, pulling on a dark cloak and boots, along with her satchel and trusty pouch of potions. Thankful that she had never changed out of her day clothes, she carefully opened her door, and made sure no one was outside. The coast was clear so the elf raced out into the pale light of the full moon, as quietly as she could— which was admittedly not too quiet.