Chapter 4

Scarlett got off the boat first and went to check the small structure at the top of the path while the others talked, they had seen the boat the woman before had taken to get away. Josh left saying that he was going to try and get them back up and the retreat order rescinded. She could hear Chris and Sheva talking about a woman named Excella and didn't know who she was. They went through the cave system and had to fight large, mutated spiders that made Scarlett shudder. Not only was she in a cave but there were big ass bugs they had to deal with. They went down further and through a stone door into a large cavern with sprawling ruins, if they weren't on a mission Scarlett would have liked to look through them and see the architecture but they didn't have the time.

She groaned when they walked across a bridge and were almost crushed by a pillar that some men pushed down. They went deeper into the ruins, fighting as they went, before they tried to open a stone casket and the floor dropped out from under them. They all landed on their feet below and began searching for a way out when a door lifted leading them to another section of the ruins. This one was a large square room with a raised platform in the center, when they investigated it they found that large burning metal balls began rolling from the top corners after they had rotated the pillar on the platform. That had also opened the door and they had to run, dodging the balls, and through the door before it closed again.

This led them down and to another door that they went through. They walked through the area until Chris stepped on a pressure plate making them have to sprint at pillars on both sides fell trying to crush them. They had to dive through the closing door at the end and sat there catching their breath for a moment before continuing on. They jumped down a short ledge and Chris and Sheva pulled chains making stairs drop leading down into a new part of the ruins. They went around and pulled more chains that were attached to statues hands making the path open in new ways each time. They also had to kill men that came form seemingly nowhere after a while until they finally got to the last part of the puzzle, Chris went up to the top where a purple statue was while Scarlett and Sheva went to the identical one on the bottom beneath it and pulled the chains.

"Great another fucking bat!" Scarlett snarled after they used the red statue to lift both sets of stairs to the door they needed to get through. Chris laughed at her and they began fighting the monster, it didn't take long for them to kill this one since they knew how to take care of it and she didn't have to use her power on it either. After it was dead they went up the stairs and through the door coming out into a large area where they could see a bright light on top of a platform. Scarlett cried out when one of the men angled a large mirror that caused a strong ray of light to hit her as Chris yanked her out of the way and into a small room that the light couldn't get into.

"Shit that looks bad." Chris said as he tried to use the herbs, she gave him on her. The jacket and shirt on that area of her shoulder had been burned away leaving a hole that allowed them to see the burnt bleeding flesh beneath.

"It's already healing, don't waste those." She said shoving his hands away and they watched as the skin began to turn back to normal before they decided to split up to find the crests. Scarlett went one way while Chris and Sheva went another. She found hers rather quickly, dodging the beams of light and killing infected men as they tried to stop her. She placed hers in the door and went to find Chris and Sheva to help them find the other two. She showed up in time to shoot a large man in the head as he was about to stab Chris with his spear as he was protecting Sheva.

"Always showing up at when things are going south." Chris said when she crouched and began applying herb paste, she took from Chris to Sheva's injured leg before wrapping it with a bandage he also handed her.

"I'm always showing up when I have to save your ass, you mean." Scarlett sassed and he shook his head with a laugh as she stood back up and helped Sheva up. The woman had a slight limp, but the herbs were already taking effect and numbing the pain while stopping the blood flow and helping her healing process. They got back to the door and inserted the crests letting them pass and get through the door at the top passed the dishes that had been using the light.