Chapter 5

Amity just stood there frozen.

She was under Luz's embrace. It wasn't that tight and it wasn't unpleasant either. Her arms, however, didn't wrap around the human but was completely frozen while still trying to comprehend what was really happening.

But she still couldn't process what Luz was saying. Tears started to trickle down both her cheeks. No, for Amity, Luz was just pranking her. She should be, right? Luz wouldn't leave her again for the second time but from what Luz was saying, this possible departure might really separate the two forever.

"Y-you're j-"

"Joking? A-Amity, if I've ever knew this would happen, I wouldn't have hurt you so much... And hurting you is the last thing I wanted to see." her voice thick, filled with emotions while her fingers were digging into the witch's brown hair. "Please forgive me. Oh I'm such a horrible girlfriend Amity!" Amity felt something wet on her neck. The wet feeling indicated that Luz was crying, thus confirming that this wasn't a joke. Luz wouldn't joke about any sensitive topic no matter how enthusiastic she could be.

Luz was dying.

There's nothing she could do about it. Isn't it?

Her tears, her actions and her explanations. They were real. It started to hit Amity. It started to become real for her.

"No..." she began to mutter, which Luz jerked her head up from burying her face from her pale neck, looking at the witch who was tearing up. "Please...tell me you're joking. Y-you're not gonna die. You'll be cured! I promise I-I'll find a way t-to cure you a-and w-we...we..."

The witch started to hyperventilate. All this time she thought the human had forgotten about her. She thought Luz didn't love her anymore but all of these accussations, the truth is that all of these were completely false.

Realizing what the human had gone through, she should have given her time to explain. Now she had hurt Luz emotionally by completely ditching her away when she arrived, disregarding all of her efforts when she wanted to surprise her. Her neglect must have affected the human.

I'm such a terrible girlfriend.

A terrible person.

A comforting hand started to rub her back, easing her breathing. It was so comforting that all her chocked sobs started to diminish.

"Shhh, it's okay Amity. Breath for me please." Luz told, her voice soothing enough even if she was also crying.

Amity wanted to argue. Everything was not okay she thought. Opening her mouth to talk back about what Luz just said, she realized the minimal effort Luz was showing in order to comfort her. She wouldn't reject it again. She had to change her ways and start being more compassionate towards her long-lost girlfriend.

After a few minutes of calming down, Amity suddenly threw herself towards the human, her arms wrapping around her midsection tightly. It was very clear she was remorseful after how she treated her five days ago.

"Luz! I'm so so so sorry! I should have given you a chance to explain but I was so selfish! You were hurting too a-and I-" she choked a sob but was cut off when Luz smiled compassionately, accepting her hug.

"Apology accepted." she murmured to the witch's ear, which it twitched in return. Dang, how she missed those cute little pointy ears especially when they twitch. "And I miss you too ears!" she giggled, her index finger reaching the tip which made the witch yelp in surprise.

"What are you doing?!"

"Don't get mad Mittens. I just missed those twitchy little ears! They're adorable!"