18

Well, walking through a catacomb of storm drains was not what Eric had pictured himself doing. To be fair, most of his fantasies didn't involve working for a crime agency, but life has was of surprising you.
"Christ." Alan said, sounding slightly out of breath. "We just saw them a moment ago. Where could they have possible gone?"
"Uh, here's a less than great thought." Eric said. "We might have gone a different path from them."
"Shit." Alan said. Eric stared at him. "What?"
"I dunno, hearing you swear is weird." Eric shrugged, grinning.
"Well fucking get used to fucking hearing me fucking swear." Alan paused. "That didn't make sense, did it?"
Eric laughed. "A plus for effort."
"What a day huh?" Alan said.

"Understatement." Eric said, shaking his head. "Biiiiig understatement."
"Do you want to talk about it?" Alan asked. "I mean, it's not every day you see your face on a missing poster. I want to make sure you're ok, you know?"
"That's...a complicated conversation." Eric said, shoving his hands into his pockets. "I dunno if I can get into it without dumping a whole load of crap on you."
"It's ok if you do. I'm willing to listen to whatever you have to say." Alan said.
"You're too good for this world. You know that, right?" Eric said. "I don't think I've ever met someone as open or willing to listen as you."
"What can I say, I'm the most special of the snowflakes." Alan said, grinning.
Eric laughed. "You got that right. Well, I guess if you don't mind, I'm willing to talk. I dunno, I wanna get some stuff off my chest."
"Then go right ahead." Alan said. "I'm ready when you are."
"Ok." Eric said. "I started talking about my girlfriend yeah?" Alan nodded and he continued. "Well, I've been thinking about that. And I don't think I ever loved her. I mean, I think that sounds really selfish of me, but it's true."
"It doesn't sound selfish. We can't control our feelings. You can't make yourself love someone." Alan said.
Eric nodded. "Yeah. Honestly, I think I got together with her because it felt like I was supposed to. Like having a girl was part of normal life, and to keep my life running, I had to check off that little box. Yeah, she was pretty, but I don't know if I was ever attracted to her. I guess what I'm saying is that I have no idea why I ever dated her."
Alan nodded. "That's a hard thing to think about."
"You're telling me." Eric sighed. "I don't think I was happy with her either. Like it wasn't too hard to smile and act like everything was great, but inside, I dunno, I was just as empty as I was before I met her. It made other people around me happy, but it didn't make me happy."
"So you kept it up for appearances? You poor thing." Alan said.
"Yes and no." Eric said. "I think she caught on to how I was feeling. When she brought it up, I was ready to try and talk it out like adults. I think at that point I was ready to get out."
"I take it it didn't go so well."
"Not in the least." Eric said. "It was like she morphed into a whole other person. She was screaming, I'd never heard anyone scream like that. She was just enraged at the thought of me wanting to maybe end things. I was scared, and that was before she came at me. I know, it's ridiculous. I'm this big guy who was scared of a shorter woman, but she was just so angry..."
"It's ok." Alan said softly, squeezing his shoulder.
"She came at me. She hit me, just started whaling on me. Like it hurt. I'm not gonna lie about that. She just kept jabbing at me, and honestly she knew all the right places to make it hurt. God, that's the best way I can describe it. It just hurt. Emotionally and physically."
"Did you try to make her stop?"
"Yeah, but every time I made a move to grab her hands or push her away, she'd scream that if I touched her it was assault and she'd call the police, get me locked up faster than I could open my mouth to defend myself. She was right, I doubt anyone would have believed me over her. She knew that, and she used that to her advantage. She was a cunning little bitch."
"God, that's horrible." Alan said. "Did she leave marks?"
"Yeah, she did. She left all sorts of bruises. I brushed em off though. I said I walked into stuff, fell down the stairs a few times. It didn't matter. Not only would no one believe me, if they did they'd just laugh. Tell me to take it like a man."
"I'm so sorry."
"It sure as hell wasn't your fault." Eric said. "I let it go on. I mean, I felt pretty trapped, but every night I'd lay there and think about how I sorta did it to myself, you know? Like if I did something different, this wouldn't be going on. I kinda had to retract into this little fantasy. Act like everything was ok so she'd stay calm and just go on with life. She went at me because she felt like it though too."
"Bloody hell."
"Yeah. She had a lot of anger, and once she discovered that she could take it out on me with no consequences, it was pretty much all over. I know I should have stood up for myself. I mean how pathetic can you get."
"You're not pathetic. Not in the least. She did have you trapped."
"The longer I was with her the more I realized that I was gonna live the exact same sad life as everyone in my family before me. I was just gonna stay where I was, drinking and working and staying broke with a wife who hated me, and I couldn't take it. I was already stretched thin from my family, and she was just one more thing to tack onto the load. I went back to drinking. I'd been doing pretty well up until then, but I just relapsed. I relapsed hard. Didn't show up for my shitty job, got fired, spent all day drinking. I literally became my Dad. Thinking about it now even still makes me sick."
Alan gently rubbed his back. Eric took a shaky breath before continuing.
"I came home one night, drunk off my arse. She decided it was a good night to go at me. I hit her. Hard. I wasn't thinking. I would have never raised a hand to her otherwise. I'm not that kind of person. I really did become my Dad that night. She was scared of me then. I saw it in her eyes. I swear I never meant to hurt her. I'm not that kind of person, I'm not-" Eric's voice broke.
"I know you're not." Alan said gently. "You're not a bad person. We all make mistakes, and you've made it more than clear that you regret it, and you've put your all into changing into a better person. Not everyone can do that. And that shows me that you're a thousand times the man your father is."
"It still happened." Eric said. "I still did it, and nothing is going to change that."
"That's a lot to carry. Are you sure you want to?"
"Yeah." Eric said. "I don't ever want to go down that road again. Ever. I'd rather die."
"I have faith in you. I don't say that to people lightly. I really think you'll succeed. You are succeeding." Alan said. "I wouldn't say that if I didn't believe it."
"Like I said, you're too good for this world." Eric said, shaking his head, smiling slightly. "I keep thinking that you're a figment of my imagination."
"Unfortunately I'm real." Alan laughed. "You've seen other people interact with me. That would mean that they're figments of your imagination as well."
"Christ, you're right. I don't think anyone could dream up Ronald." Eric said.
"That is a solid point." Alan laughed. "Do you want to keep going?"
"Yeah." Eric said. "There's more after that surprisingly. For the next few weeks after it happened, I was terrified she was gonna tell someone. I mean, it's not like anyone would have batted an eye if she did, that kind of stuff was normal where I came from. But I kinda went into a shell. I was anxious, jumpy, hell, even timid. And she noticed. She knew that she had me right where she wanted me. So then she went for the throat." Eric grimaced. "I don't have proof, but I'm incredibly sure that she went to my father. Because out of nowhere he started pressuring me to propose. He's not a romantic, and he could care less if I got hitched. But getting married to her would mean that I'd have to stay where I was. I couldn't leave, and therefore he wouldn't lose me as a source of cash."
"Christ." Alan said softly.
"Right? They were like a bunch of criminal masterminds." Eric said. "Honestly, I should have seen it coming. But I didn't, and I caved after a few days of pressuring. I know that's pathetic too. I just kinda rolled over."
"You were hardly in a good mindset." Alan said. "Don't be so harsh on yourself for that."
"I dunno." Eric said, shaking his head. "I didn't have to roll over like I did. I just did. I got a ring, proposed, kissed my freedom goodbye."
"But you still got out." Alan said.
"I did." Eric said. "And it's almost ironic how it happened. I left during an event that would make most people stay. My Grandmother had a stroke. I was sitting with her while she recovered, and she beckoned me over. I'm pretty sure she used all the strength she had recovered at that point. She said that if I didn't jump ship and get the hell out, she wouldn't quit until she was strong enough to shove her cane up my ass."
Alan laughed. "You're joking!"
"Nope, she's a tough one. Still around today. I wanted to bring her with me, but I didn't have a way to. I feel guilty about that honestly."
"Why? I'm sure she's happy honestly. You did what she wanted you to, and I'm sure knowing that you're out of there and living your life makes her happier than anything in the world could." Alan said.
"Maybe you're right." Eric said. "Hell if I know. I mean, I think I do, but I still feel guilty you know."
"And there's nothing wrong with that. Don't push your emotions down. You're doing yourself a disservice."
"I hate emotions." Eric said. "Wait, that came out wrong."
Alan laughed. "No no, I understand."
"Good." Eric said. "Well, here's the thrilling conclusion to the story. I saved up money, got a ticket to London, and ran like my ass was on fire and didn't look back. I didn't tell anyone where I was going. I mean, they know I'm in London, but I doubt they'd find me if they looked. Hence, posters I guess."
"You made it out." Alan said. "You're so much more than they are combined. You did what none of them ever could. You're living your life. I'm so proud of you."
"Really?" Eric asked, cheeks heating up slightly.
"Yes! You're an incredibly strong person. I'm in awe of how much you've accomplished and how far you've come. Look at where you started, and look where you are now!"
"In a sewer." Eric said.
"Ok, maybe it was a bad time to make that statement."
Eric laughed. "Nah, even a sewer is a step up."
"Excellent! Then look around at where you are all you want. Here we have a lovely wall, some marvelous dead leaves. If we're lucky, we may see a cute and cuddly rat."
"You're a nutcase." Eric said affectionately.
"Why thank you. I take that as a compliment of the highest order." Alan said, bowing.
"Speaking of nutcases, how in the hell have we not found those two yet."
"It's a large storm drain." Alan said. "And apparently this is Ronald's natural environment."
Eric laughed again. "Well, at least we've learned one thing. This is definitely a form of transportation."
"The damn Demon must have a map or something." Alan said. "Christ, I have no idea where we are."
"Oh Jesus, I didn't even think of that." Eric said. "We could be stuck down here forever."
"Oh." Alan said. "Shit, we need to find Ronald."
"Wait, idea." Eric said, pulling out his phone. "Hey Siri, where the hell am I?"
Alan collapsed into laughter. "Oh thank god we have our lord and savior siri."
"What! I thought that was a good idea!" Eric protested. "If Siri can tell me what song's playing at the super market, it should be able to tell me where I am in the damn storm drain!"
"We will see. We may have discovered the outreach of technological ability."
"Yeah, the storm drain. AI can't touch this shit." Eric said. "Guess we'll be moving down here when the robots take over like the metallic dicks they are." he looked down at his phone. "Oh, no offense siri. You're my best friend."
That sent Alan into another round of hysterics.
"What! I want to befriend our computer overlords. Maybe they'll cut me a sweet deal, or let me live as a pet or something!"
"Yes, you certainly have a head start on all of us." Alan laughed.
"Don't worry, I'll let you in on the deal too."
"Oh how kind of you."
"Yeah, I'm just that generous."
The bantering could have gone on longer, if it wasn't for the soft whispers that carried across the space.
"Liar..."
"...Lie..."
"Holy shit." Eric froze. "Did you hear that?"
"What?" Alan asked. "I didn't hear anythi-"
"...Liar..."
"Oh fuck." Alan said, tensing.
"Has anyone ever died down here?" Eric asked.
"What? What do you mean?"
"Like a really shitty death?"
"Well I think dying in a storm drain is a pretty shitty death. Wait are you implying there's ghosts?"
"Vengeful spirits can come back if they died especially badly, and I sure as hell would be pissed if I died down here." Eric said.
"You don't think there are really spirits...do you?" Alan asked slowly.
"You're the smart one, what do you think?"
"I don't know! I prefer to think about these kinds of things in a well lit room, not a sewer surrounded by whispers.
"...lie...lie..."
"For the record I didn't lie about anything. I mean I thought about lying about the hitting part, but I didn't." Eric raised his middle finger to the dark tunnel before him. "So fuck off spirits! You got the wrong guy!"
"...liar..."
"The spirit seems to disagree." Alan said.
"So we're sure it's a spirit?" Eric asked. "Christ I am not a fan. I don't like this. Siri, turn on flashlight."
"Calling Mr. Spears"
"What! How did you get that? I said flashlight!"
"Searching up definitions for: Fleshlight."
"NO!"
There was a small beam of light as Alan turned on his own phone flashlight. "Like this?"
"Yeah." Eric said, shaking his phone. "Damn thing is gonna get me killed by ghosts."
"...lie...lie..."
"...liar...liar...liar..."
"Does it sound like it's getting closer?" Alan asked softly.
"I don't want to think about that. Oh fuck no, I refuse to think about that."
"I think it is though."
"Oh fuck. Oh fuck me."
"Not right now, I'm potentially about to be murdered by ghosts. How does next Thursday sound?"
Eric stared. "You're making jokes?"
"What can I say, it's a coping strategy."
"...liar..."
"Do we have to appease it somehow? I really haven't lied about anything!" Eric said.
"Neither do I. Maybe it's blind and can't tell it's haunting the wrong people. That would be a sad way to die, losing your eyes and bleeding out."
"What the fuck?!"
"I've seen it done before."
"What if the Demon's stashed bodies down here, and these are the angry souls back from the dead to get revenge?" Eric asked.
"I try not to think about these things during investigations."
"Liar." the voice was much louder and closer. Both Eric and Alan jumped.
"No...lie."
"Liar."
"It's a lie."
"I think there are two of them." Alan said. "Those are two different voices."
Eric grabbed Alan and pulled him behind a corner. "Fuck, they're still getting closer."
"I believe I will text Mr. Spears before I die. "Hello sir, we're about to be murdered by potentially blind spirits, how's your day going?" Does that sound alright?"
"Liar."
"Lie."
"Liar!"
"Lie!"
"We're gonna die." Eric said. "Holy shit we're actually gonna die."
"Not a bang, but a whimper." Alan mused.
If Eric was going to die, he wasn't going to go out before doing one last thing. "Alan?"
"Hm?"
"Liar!"
"There's something I need to tell you."
"Lie!"
"Hm, what is it?" Alan turned to him, green eyes barely visible in the dim light.
"Liar!"
"Lie!"
"Eric? What is it?"
"I lo-"
"It's a lie god dammit!"
"Wait." Alan said. "Is that..." he peeked out from behind the corner, before visibly relaxing. "I'm going to kill them."
"Wait." Eric looked out to see Ronald and Grelle bickering as they walked towards them.
"Ronald, it's a liar!"
"No, it's a lie!"
"What are you two idiots doing!" Eric yelled, jumping out from behind the corner. Both Ronald and Grelle screamed.
"What the hell man!" Ronald yelled. "You almost gave us heart attacks!"
"Me? What about you! Chanting about liars. I haven't lied about anything!"
"What? No darling, we're talking about the greek instrument. A lyre."
"It's a lye! Not a lyre!" Ronald yelled.
"God dammit Ronald, it's a lyre!" Grelle shot back.
"Wait, so you're telling me this entire time you were arguing about instruments." Alan said, stepping out from behind the corner and standing next to Eric.
"Yeah." Ronald said. "Why? What have you guys been up to?"
Eric looked at Alan. Alan looked back. At the same time they both doubled over laughing, clinging to each other to stand upright.
"Ronnie, they seem to have lost their sanity." Grelle said, crossing her arms. "I guess some people just aren't meant to be in the dark this long."

"Mr. Spears, I have a question." Ronald said, raising his hand. The entire team had assembled back in their briefing area for a quick check in.
"It depends Knox. Is this a good, important question?"
"Yes sir."
"Fine. Let's here it."
"Is it a lye? Or a lyre?"
"I beg your pardon?"
"The greek instrument sir."
"The greek instrument?"
"Yeah."
"Knox, I thought you said this was important."
"It is."
"Does this have anything to do with the case? Anything at all?"
"Well, no-"
"THEN WHY BRING IT UP!"
"But is it a lye or a lyre!"
Mr. Spears sighed, before opening his laptop and typing into a search bar. The team waiting in bated silence before he spoke. "It's a lyre."
"FUCK YES!"
"What?!"
"SUCK ON THAT RONALD!"
"Then what the hell is a lye!" Ronald protested.
"That's a soap brand Knox."
"Oh." Ronald said. "Ok."
"Did that answer your question?"
"Yeah."
"Does anyone have anything to say that actually is related to the investigation?" Mr. Spears pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed.
"Yeah actually. We know how he's been getting around. He's going through the system of storm drains that runs under the city. He might even be down there now, not that we'd ever find him. I dunno if that information really helps us right now, but the more you know I guess." Eric shrugged.
"I don't suppose we can post officers at the entrance of every storm drain, but it does give us a better idea. If anything it'll be helpful in court." Mr. Spears said.
"Actually, we found something." Grelle said, unrolling a bloodstained cloth from within her pocket. Several symbols were drawn in blood. From her other pocket, Grelle withdrew a severed ear. "This was with it."
"That's been in your pocket the whole time?" Eric exclaimed.
"Mhm. Don't worry, I took precautions. No evidence destroyed." Grelle said cheerfully, depositing the ear into Mr. Spears' gloved hand.
"...Thank you Sutcliffe." Mr. Spears said slowly.
"No problem darling, glad to be of help."
"Wait, you two found something, and didn't think to mention it until now? We could have gone back and looked around more if you two weren't so caught up in lyes and lyres."
"No, I don't think we could of." Grelle said, shaking her head. "It was not a good idea to linger for too long."
"Yeah? And why not?" Eric asked.
"Because we saw something moving down there. A person I think." Ronald said. "Couldn't tell who it was, but I sure as hell am not going to take any chances in a storm drain with a creepy figure."
"How long ago did you see the figure?" Mr. Spears asked.
"About twenty minutes ago? Maybe a little more?" Ronald offered.
Mr. Spears nodded, picking up his phone. "I'll have the queensmen look into it. You made the right choice to not engage. They're more equipped to do it than we are."
"So what do we do now then?" Eric asked.
"You keep following your gut. It hasn't failed us yet."
"And what about me?" Ronald asked. "What can I do?"
"You can go back to researching in books."
"Oh goody." Ronald sighed.