FIVE: THE JUNKYARD

I did take some time to think about how I felt about Teddy

I did take some time to think about how I felt about Teddy. As being only a thirteen year old girl, I had never thought about crushes before besides Ace, unfortunately. I could easily be over thinking it, or I could be under thinking it. In times like these, I needed to talk to Faye or Beatrice. They always knew what to say. But, soon we found ourselves standing before the gate that separated us from Milo Pressman's junkyard. Home to the famous dog called Chopper.

Chopper was the most well known, and least seen dog around Castle Rock. Joe said when him and Chris's older brother, Richie, better known as Eyeball, were fooling around in the yard, Milo came home early, and sent good old Chopper running after them. Saying one key term, "Chopper, sic balls!"

Luckily for me, I was a a girl, and lacked a set of balls. However, the fact dawned over me that Milo could easily flip the scrip and say, "Chopper, sic tits!" That was my worst nightmare. Apparently, Joe and Eyeball Chambers were also the reason for the chainlink fence that blocked us from getting into the junkyard to the only safe well around here. Or at least, the only one we knew of.

"We could climb over it." Suggested Teddy, pushing up his glasses.

"... Alright." Chris shrugged, throwing his bedrolls and bag over the fence. My shoulder ached just thinking about going up over that fence. I checked it, and there was in fact a bruise roughly the size of Ace's hand.

"Stand back men!" Teddy ordered, throwing his bedrolls, pretending they were a bomb. Then, making an exploding sound and putting his hands up for dramatic effect.

The boys got over the fence quickly, but I struggled a bit. Especially when my shorts got caught, giving them a tear across the left leg. I huffed and landed on my feet with a small, 'plop', and caught up to Chris and Gordie, who were watching as Teddy and Vern ran to the well, Teddy shouting military commands on the way there.

"Teddy's crazy." Gordie said.

"Yeah, I bet he won't live to see twenty." Chris says.

"Not on my watch." I said confidently, then walked over to the well, filling up my canteen while avoiding eye contact with Teddy. I stood up, taking a refreshing sip from it.

"What happened to your shorts, Lydia?" Asked Vern.

"It's my new fashion statement." I replied sarcastically, "no, I ripped 'em on the fence."

"Oh." He nodded, and we all walked over to a spot in the shade. Teddy sat beside me, and I got my radio, turning it to a station that reached this far out. We all sat around an old tin can, spitting our fresh water from the canteen into it.

"Have you guys been watching Micky Mouse Club lately?" Queried Gordie. We and replied with a, 'yeah'.

"I think Annette's tits are getting bigger." Teddy says, and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, I noticed that the A and the E are starting to bend around the sides." Gordie said, cupping imaginary breasts around his chest. The boys bursted into laughter, while I crossed my arms.