Chapter 1

Fine flour lingered in the air. The maids were busy, preparing bread, heating water and as they worked the noise of metal echoed in the kitchen because of the use they had given to several utensils.

“I heard Prissy is finally getting married to the Doctor’s son.”

“Isn't it sudden?" One maid asked, scratching her cheek and getting dough on it. " Do you wonder if she…”

They looked at each other for some seconds and started laughing.

“On the matter of marriage. Do you think Antonio will ever—”

“What have I told you about gossiping during work?” an older woman questioned as she entered the room. She got closer to the women and lowered her voice “and especially when it’s about your bosses. Houses have thin walls.”

The maids apologized, finishing up so that they gathered a wooden tray filled with food.

The tray is left at a big desk, where a man his working. His back isn't straight as he is leaning on the desk. He thanks the maid. When he is in the room by himself once again, he picks up a toasted bread slice and bites it.

The afternoon sun had set itself close to the horizon. Orange glow filled the carpeted corridor, the walls filled with paintings and all the potted plants.

It was sill audible, the maids voices.

Tony had gone down the stairs, not fully, staying on the last step, leaning on the wall. The floor beneath him had a long carpet that leads to the mostly empty corridor, save for the paintings and plants. Tony had his hands behind his back.

Some seconds later the maids came running, they stopped besides the stairs, waiting.

The front door is opened and closed. The youngest maid, cheerfully greets her boss. The woman smiles, hugging each of them, then she gets to her brother, hugging him too. Behind her stayed a young man, keeping himself away from introductions by staying close to the front door.

“Tony, this is Hugh, I met him when I was making my book. He is a fine artist.”

Hugh walks to them and stretches a hand for Tony. The latter takes a second to react, pulling the sleeve of his jumper, that was covering his hand. Hugh smiles but tony is still too shy to do anything that involves moving many muscles, so he acknowledges it with a small nod.

The living room was perhaps the most well decorated room of the house.

Tony was sitting on the couch, touching the loose lines of his jumper. His sister entered the room and sat down besides him, “tomorrow I’ll have to see my editor during the afternoon. Promise me you won’t leave Hugh all alone” Josefina said.

"As if he needs me for anything”

“Don’t sulk like that now, please. I know you don’t like being near strange people but all you have to do is get to know him.”

“I'll be his company If that’s what you wish for.” Tony said, trying to keep the bitterness away from his voice.

Unfortunately for Tony, putting up with Hugh started as soon as dinner did. They had all sat at the dining table, that had mostly stayed empty during Josefina's travels.

Hugh was close to being a chatterbox, talking about nature and paintings. Tony tries to distance himself from the melodic voice, even if some of the matters did interest him.

At that point he already knew he would have a long day ahead of himself tomorrow.