Chapter: 28

The next morning when I wake up I am already feeling so much better. Unlike earlier, now I know what we have to do and somewhat it feels like we have taken our first step towards getting back the control of our life.

When I walk outside the room sound of laughter welcomes me as I see Adam and Abigail making breakfast while talking about something.

We have a cook and other housekeeping staff, but Abigail loves to cook. She finds cooking therapeutic so she often cooks meals for us and herself. Since Adam also enjoys cooking so it no surprise that both of them are bonding over cooking.

"What's going on guys?" Raising my eyebrows, I take a deep breath inhaling the delicious aroma of the food.

"We are just making some brunch." Abigail greets me with a hug, and suddenly it feels like old-time when every day this is how Abigail used to greet me in the morning.

"What's in the menu?" Wrapping my shoulder around Abigail, I lean against her.

"Oh, nothing just sandwiches made from the leftover chicken rotisserie and some egg muffins," Abigail answers, "And Adam is trying to make potato salad." She laughs making Adam rolls his eyes mockingly at her.

"I will only be able to finish it if you will stop eating the boiled potatoes." He huffs, pretending to be annoyed, "She has been eating boiled potatoes with ketchup." He complains to me while pointing the fork at her.

"What? I am hungry." Abigail shrugs innocently, "He is taking forever to make the salad."

He narrows his eyes at her and she glares back at him.

"Children, shall we get back to making food as it is established we are hungry and we need food?" I clap my hands to get their attention.

"Hannah!" Adam throws his hands up in the air in frustration when even I steal some pieces of diced boiled potatoes and throw them inside my mouth.

"Okay... okay." I laugh raising my hands in surrender and go to help Abigail with plating the food.

Mom joins us at the table and surprisingly it seems like she is staying at home as well because instead of her work clothes she is rocking a plain t-shirt and jeans.

"So, did you decide something?" Mom asks looking at me and Adam.

"Yeah, we are planning to reconstruct our house," I inform her with a smile, "For now we will rent a place and start construction on our place once we get the insurance money."

"Why are you going to live somewhere else?" Mom frowns, "You are staying with us until your house is ready. And I am not listening to anything else."

"Beth-" Adam starts to speak but mom glares instantly shut him up.

"Adam, we don't mind you guys staying with us. You can stay here as long as you want." Mom places her hand on his shoulder, "In fact, we will be more than happy to have you guys. You are like our son, so we are not doing any favor." She pats his shoulder with a smile.

Adam looks at me seeming perplexed, I simply shrug. Because whatever he decides I will support him.

"Okay." He nods his head but chuckles when Mom and Abigail high five each other. "But, only if you will let me pay you."

"There is no need for that." Mom shakes her head in protest.

"Yes, there is and if you are not okay with this then we are not going to stay here," Adam says with a tone that means he will not relent on his decision.

"Okay," Mom agrees but looks dejected. "So, now, it is final that you are staying with us until your house gets ready," Mom says with finality. She pours water in the glass and looks at us.

"I will ask the staff to prepare the outhouse for you, so you will have your own space." Mom puts the glass down after drinking the water, "However, I would like all of us to have one meal of the day together."

"Of course." Adam smiles while nodding his head.

Mom's gaze moves towards Abigail's direction and she quietly sighs to herself. She gently pats Abigail's back and I notice she has been just pushing the food around her plate and she has taken only a few bites of the sandwich.

She smiles sheepishly and starts eating. I feel saddened by watching mom's helpless expression because it feels like Abigail is struggling but for the sake of us, she is pretending to look normal. Whenever she is feeling low she often losses her appetite and will hardly eat anything.

It is not easy for her to share her feelings as she mostly keeps everything locked inside her. However, we have learned to notice small changes in her behavior which tells us how she is actually feeling.

"Abby, have you ever tried fried ice-cream?" Adam asks crossing his arms on the table.

"No." She shakes her head in no and suddenly looks interested.

"Okay, so I will make fried ice-cream for you tonight and I will share my secret recipe with you as well, only if you will finish your food." Adam points at her plate.

"I am not a baby." She laughs, "So you can't trick me into eating. I will not fall into such tricks"

"But you are a baby to me, so I will treat you like one." He shrugs nonchalantly, turning my heart in a puddle.

Awww... isn't he just the best?

"I think instead of babying me, go make your own babies." She smirks, "But please keep this baby-making procedure quiet as I don't want to know how my niece or nephew was made."

"Abigail Maire Prescott!" Mom looks horrified as she glares at Abigail. Abigail's face turns pale as she glances at mom, knowing full well she is in trouble while Adam and I start laughing because of her comical expression.

Before mom can start scolding her, she dashes off from the dining table and nearly tripping on her feet.

"I swear, both of these girls drive me crazy." Mom huffs angrily while looking heavenward.

"Hey, what did I do?" I frown, "Why do you always drag me whenever she does something which makes you mad?"

"Because I know how similar you both are, and none of you is innocent." She glares at me, "Moreover, she has learned all this from you because I clearly remember how you used to teach her 'mean words' when she hadn't even started speaking." She makes air quotes with her fingers.

"And where do you think I have learned those mean words from?" I wiggle my eyebrows at her while crossing my arms. Instantly her face turns red in embarrassment because not everyone is aware of this but my mom has some really colorful vocabulary which she only uses when she is super pissed. Although it had happened on rare occasions, luckily I was a witness of such an outburst which I never let her forget.

"I have some work to finish, so I will go and finish that." She makes a lame excuse and leaves.

I burst into fits of laughter as soon as she leaves.

"You are so bad." Adam shakes his head, looking amused.

"Yeah?" Arching an eyebrow, I smirk at him. "I am not only bad, but I am feeling bad too." Hooking my finger in the collar of his shirt I tug him towards myself.

"Hannah, behave yourself." He chuckles removing my hand away from him.

"Mood spoiler." I glare at him, "No love for you for a week."

"Hannah!" He starts to protest but leaving him there I go back to my room.

Enjoy cold showers for the rest of the week, Mr. Williams.

***************************************

Thank you for reading.