// twenty-nine //

•Our Corner Of Universe•

••••••

••••••

M E M O R I E S  W E R E  A N  E S S E N C E   L A I L A  T R I E D  T O  F O R G E T. It was things like those that kept her from being truly happy. Memories haunted her, they craved to see her curl and cry, they didn't let her move on.

But some memories were also good. Just with them, Laila was able to remember her mother, her father or the good things that had happened. In a way, when some memories killed Laila, others were there to revive her.

It was a never ending cycle of pain and happiness, but that day, when she was finally coming to an end of her interrogation, Laila saw nothing good. How could see? When she sat in an interrogation room, asked about Marina Nunier, a girl with a tragic demise?

Seemingly, all of her memories of Marina connected to Laila's friends. She never truly connected with Marina, but Laila remembered the dislike she held for the redhead, now regretful. However, her previous feelings for the girl were nothing compared to the regret she felt for Marina's brother.

If not that stupid day and her need to prove herself right, maybe Guzman would've been there for Marina. Maybe now, Laila wouldn't have to sit and feel sorry for everything that had happened. Maybe Guzman wouldn't hate her.

But all of the scenarios were only a maybe as Laila lived in a quite different reality, surrounded by death, lies and betrayals. Someone did kill Marina, and even if Laila knew how hurt Guzman had been before, she still didn't want to think he'd kill her.

Anyone else just not him.

Laila sat in front of the detective still, quiet but not so aggressive or passive anymore. There was evident sadness on the girl's face that not even her aunt could address, knowing that Laila had opened up enough as it was. Some things she wished would've been kept private was out in the world, and Jada could see that it took a toll on Laila.

The detective was determined, however, and she was close to finally getting an answer to most of her questions. "Did you know Marina Nunier was pregnant?" the woman finally spoke up, not blinking in case she'd miss a speckle of shock or fear, but Laila was calm, seemingly having known about it before.

Jada didn't look shocked as well since this wasn't her first rodeo. However, there was a hint of sadness in Laila that the detective noted as regret and pain. No matter such a reaction, the woman already knew Laila wasn't the killer, at least had a feeling she wasn't. "Who told you?" she pressured calmly, causing Laila to close her eyes as the clock on the wall continued to tick inside her head.

Laila felt a headache creep up on her, the invisible rubber band pressing hard against her temples so she reached for her cup of water. When she raised it to her lips, Laila noticed that it was empty so she sighed deeply and gave the detective a pleading look. "I need a break."