Paroxysm (Part I)

Victor sits in his room, phone in his hands and foot tapping the floor, an agitated driver pumping the brakes.

He's waiting on a text from Benji, a confirmation that Mia has picked him up and that they're on the way, as well as the notice of Simon's arrival.

It had taken a lot of convincing, but after some begging and an embarrassing but ultimately hilarious phone call between Simon and his mother, Victor had convinced her that the Tybee Island trip would be fine. He has no idea how Benji convinced his parents, especially since Benji's arm has only recently been freed from its bandage-y prison and his ribs are only nearly all of the way better. Regardless, Victor's mother had also spoken to Benji's, and after a tense few minutes they seemed to come to an agreement, and then...hit it off? At that point Victor had left the room because he wasn't ready to hear what his mother was going to say about him to Benji's.

So now it's the crack of dawn, Friday morning, and Victor has a small bag packed and an eagerness that's just about boring through the front of his skull, ready to drop right into his hands.

By some absolute miracle, the entire crew had been available and interested. Four young couples, one beach house during Labor Day Weekend, and a whole summer of drama to recover from.

Victor hasn't felt this excited about anything since—well, since the beginning of his relationship with Benji.

They're bookending their summer perfectly, returning to the place where everything had really begun, where a label was wrapped gently around both of their wrists. And though the thin paper has been torn down the center, they're at the point where they're holding hands again, the tears lining up perfectly. You can tell that the bond has been broken, but it's only apparent because it's been brought together again.

Benji: hi! Mia just picked me up, Lake and Andrew are already here so we're gonna head over. that good? [6:23 AM]

Victor grins down at his phone and confirms with Benji, then reaches over his bed and grabs his walkie talkie.

Krrt! "Victor to Felix, over," Victor whispers.

He pauses and waits for a response, part of him afraid that Felix has overslept, but then his walkie springs to life in his hands.

"Felix...to Victor," Felix says, a yawn interrupting his greeting. "Reporting for duty," he drawls. "Oh—over."

Victor giggles; Felix's brain is clearly still waking up. "Meet in the hallway in five? Over."

"Sure thing, boss," Felix says, yawning again. "Over and out."

He sets the walkie down carefully—they're still using the classic set, so he's been trying to treat his with care. Victor stands and pulls his bag over his shoulder, grinning again when his phone buzzes.

Simon: hey Vic! We're parked outside on the street, hope that's cool :) [6:25 AM]

Victor: yeah, that's perfect. felix and i will be out in a couple min, and mia is on the way with the others! [6:25 AM]

Victor slides his phone back into his pockets and tiptoes out of his room, taking extra care not to wake anybody. He knows his family well; if anybody is awake before nine a.m. during the summer, somebody pays the price.

This is why he almost screams when he approaches the front door and his mother looks up at him from the couch. She's wearing a robe and has a cup of coffee in one hand and a magazine in the other.

"Jesus, Mami, you scared me," he breathes, clutching at his chest.

She grins and folds the magazine closed. "Good morning, mijo. Excited? I made you a quick breakfast, come," she says and rises, gesturing to her left.