Daydreams & Nightmares

A/N:

Ack! There was so much to cover in this chapter so looks like it's gonna be a three-parter.

***

Karma felt like he was on a mental trip, sitting in the backseat of a...Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, like their dad, was dropping them off at a soccer game.

"You boys are quiet?" Their dad, or this world's version of their dad, was driving and looked...normal. Or at least how normal dads were supposed to look.

Karma couldn't stop gawking at the man because he just looked so different. This version of their dad wore chinos....fucking chinos. A normal shirt and jumper, and his hair was loose, tidy but just slightly different with the main similarity being that it was a dark brown like in their world.

"Boys?" Their dad raised an eyebrow in the wind view.

Gakushuu was gawking as well. "Uh, we're fine..." He glanced at Karma. "We were just thinking of our school...project?"

"Yeah..." Karma nodded, frowning. "That..."

"Oh, they're assigning projects this close to finals?" Their dad frowned.

Oh, shit...

"Just small ones, to help us study," Gakushuu said quickly.

"...Right." Their dad didn't sound convinced. "Well, if you need help, just let me know."

"Yeah..." Fuck this was weird. "Thanks...dad."

Was this person really their dad in this world? It felt...

Karma grimaced, feeling his chest tighten when he remembered how things used to be before Ikeda had died.

When they arrived at the house it was the same build and location as the one back in their world, only with more flowers...

"You boys can help me with dinner." Their dad hopped out of the car while they hesitantly followed after. "I was still finishing cooking before I went to pick you up."

Karma hummed, taking his shoes off as they stepped into the house. "What are we having?"

He did a sweep of the hallway, and instantly noticed a lot more family photographs in comparison to their house back in their world. And judging from the suitcase and teaching award it looked like their dad was still a teacher in this world.

"Salmon Teriyaki Potto," their dad replied, hanging the keys on a hook. "You can help finish the rice." He smiled as they walked into the kitchen. "I wanted to add my own spin with the  salad."

"Right..." Karma leaned against the counter while Gakushuu took off his blazer. "So what do you want us to do?"

Their father back in their world had started cooking with them again, though it often ended with him becoming frustrated and telling them he'd take over.

"Karma, keep an eye on the rice." Their dad fastened an apron on. "Shuu, you can grate half the cucumber into strips, and then chop up the rest."

Gakushuu's eyes widened when their father called him 'Shuu', something painful tugging at  Karma's chest.

Their dad glanced at them questionably. "Boys?"

Gakushuu quickly rolled up his sleeves. "Right." He chopped the cucumber I half and started grating it.

The three of them worked in silence while they got most of the work done. Karma tried to mask his discomfort and focus on what he was doing.

"You're both quiet today," Their dad repeated, glancing at them curiously. "It's been ten minutes and there have been no arguments." He looked amused. "Is it a special occasion?"