Storm Warning

The strong gusts of wind slammed into the sides of Winterberry, agitating Clara's nerves. She compared the white walls of the home to a paper house, waiting for the mansion to be swept away with the storm.  

A part of her wanted to knock on Evangeline's door just to have some company during the storm but she knew how much of a heavy sleeper Evangeline could be. Clara quietly carried her feet down the stairs and through the bland kitchen. She tiptoed past the cream colored vases and emotionless family portraits and out the back door. She was met with by the downpour, the cold rain dampened her oversized white t-shirt as she jogged over the hill, towards Mulberry. Once Clara arrived, she grabbed a handful of pebbles and began hurling them at one of the back windows. 

Fortunately for Clara, Florence was awake in bed unable to sleep, she didn't mind the strong winds or rain but she did loathe the thunder and lightning. The sound of pebbles ricocheting off the window caught her attention,  she rubbed her eyes tiredly and turned on the lamp before opening the window. 

"What the hell are you doing?" She called out in a hushed tone at the sopping wet blonde down below. "I can't sleep." She responded with a shrug. 

Florence couldn't wrap her head around why Clara would go out of her way to see her, in the midst of a storm no less. "Are you on drugs or something?" Florence asked in a rather concerned manner. "If I say yes will you come down?" The blonde countered, clearly not taking no for an answer. Florence rolled her eyes, "Fine."

Florence grabbed a set of keys and an extra set of clothes, silently making her way to the backyard. Florence groaned once she spotted the outsider through the thick rain. She didn't know exactly what was going on or what to do, "Follow me" She instructed without waiting for Clara to respond.

She led the blonde to the Mulberry guest house, unlocking the front door and turning on the light. "Jesus, this is a guest house?" Clara commented in awe at the luxury of the two story house; there was a gym above the indoor basketball court and a ladder leading to the loft over the living room and kitchen area. 

"Here take these, they're dry-" Florence swallowed heavily as she noticed Clara's wet t-shirt was see-through, revealing her perky breasts making her quickly advert her gaze and hand her the clothes. "Thanks." Clara smiled, subconsciously using her foot to rub off the wet grass that stuck to her ankle. 

The blonde swiftly peeled off her soaking top and pulled on the dry long sleeve crewneck she was given. Clara read the small white letters across the front, "Givenchy? No- I can't wear this, this is way too expensive." She squirmed, starting to remove it- Florence lunged towards her, tugging it back down on her body, "No complaining, just wear it." 

"Well if you insist, just don't hold me accountable for any possible stains or tears." The blonde pushed back a few strands of loose hair from her messy bun and continued to step into the plaid pajama bottoms. 

Once the girls dried off they sat on opposite sides of the couch, watching the water ripple as the rain drops hit the pool. "So you showed up to my window in the middle of the night during a storm to..." Florence raised her eyebrow waiting for a response. Clara realized that she didn't have an answer, "-to...get out of the psych ward that is my Winterberry bedroom." Florence scoffed, "Sounds about right." 

There was a stillness for a few seconds where neither girl spoke a word, but it wasn't an awkward silence but rather a comfortable one. Clara found her own gaze lingering on the brunette's defined clavicle, studying the gold pendant that hung around her neck. "Your necklace, it's pretty." Clara cracked a soft smile, a smile that Florence had become enthralled by; though she was too reserved to admit it. "It belonged to my grandmother. I suppose I forgot to take it off before going to bed."  Florence rested her head back on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. Clara noted how Florence always spoke to her with a lack of engagement, constantly coming off as uninterested. 

Another moment of silence fell over, only the sound of downpour could be heard. "Why did you come to Strawberry Island for the summer?" Florence's words disrupted the silence, catching the blonde off-guard. "I was invited?" Clara spoke uncertainly. "Obviously-but why did you come?" Florence pressed, readjusting her gaze to meet the blonde's glacier blue eyes. "Why are you so obsessed with me?" Clara countered, partly joking but also a little frustrated at Florence's confrontational presence. 

"Don't flatter yourself, I'm simply asking a question." Florence countered, now even more inquisitive than before. "It's a dumb question, Florence." Clara kept her gaze fixated on her hair tie that dangled on her wrist. "I'm going to call it a night, I hope you don't mind the storm." Florence, impatient, scoffed heading towards the front door. 

"Wait... shit, I'll tell you." Clara blurted out to the curly headed brunette who grinned to herself before turning back to the eager blonde. 

"So, why are you here?" Florence repeated with raised eyebrows.