🎀 CHAPTER TWO🎀

"MOM!" Alyssa called out racing down the stairs to the living room, on hearing her parents' voices. She stopped abruptly, her eyes searching.
No Alexa.
Her eyes darted to her parents and the bleak look on their face said it all. They couldn't find her. Alexa was missing. Her Mom was saying something to her dad that she couldn't understand.
Alyssa let out an exasperated sigh confused at what was going on.
" Dad!" Alison suddenly cried, racing down the stairs ."Alexa left a note ..."
Eyes wide, Her dad grabbed the piece of paper from her impatiently.
"Dear Lord!" he spoke the words stunned. Her mom took it then she looked up, her lips quivering as she let the paper slip out of her hands. Alyssa moved quickly to pick it up, reading
every word:
    I have to go. Please don't trouble yourself finding me. I'll be fine.

             🥀🥀🥀
Looking up, Alexa sighted someone walking towards her.
Her heart sank. The last thing she ever wanted was someone to see her in her present state. She stared in awe at the tall dark-skinned young man who was just a few metres away from her.
"You could have been killed." were the first words he spoke as he reached her.
Unable to think of anything else to do, she walked passed him quickly.
She heard footsteps from behind her. He was following her! She quickened her steps, trying to think quickly which way to go.
"Do you have any idea where you are or where you're headed? I didn't kill that dog." He told her quickening his pace as well. With rage seething through her she turned around sharply.
" Back off! Stop following me!" She warned harshly before walking quickly again. She felt a tiny drop of rain hit her skin.
Oh no!
She glanced back and let out a sigh of relief that he'd stopped following her then the rain suddenly increased. She remained still, not knowing what to do or which path to go.
A car honked from behind, startling her. She looked to see a silver SUV as it pulled up beside her. The window was winded down and the same guy looked out.
"Could I at least offer you a ride?" He asked politely, raising an eyebrow. Alexa gulped nervously. She certainly couldn't get into his car for she couldn't trust him, but what other way could she get out of there?
"Are you coming or not?" He asked, igniting the engine when she didn't reply.
"Hold up!" She called out surrendering to impulse and moved quickly to get into the passenger seat.
"Thank you," she told him.
" Welcome."
The ride was silent until out of blues, he asked: "Where do you intend I take you?"
Alexa froze at that question.
She had nowhere in mind. Sensing he was watching her, she cleared her sore throat.
" A place I could get to spend the night. A hotel maybe. " she could barely recognize the hoarse voice she produced.
" Do you need water?" He asked warmly. Just as she was about to decline, she suddenly felt the urge to puke. She tried to her best hold it in until she knew she couldn't any longer.
"Pull over for a minute, please" she croaked, fighting hard to hold on. Once he stopped, she rushed out quickly in the drizzling rain and before she could find a spot, she threw up. Her cheeks flushed in embarrassment as she walked back, noticing the looks of people on the road.
"You must need water, don't you?" He asked again as soon as she had gotten into the car. She glanced at him and then nodded. He handed her a bottle and revved the engine.
She thanked him before gulping down its content.
" I'm Henry Irwin. You don't have to tell me yours if you ain't willing. Nonetheless, I want you to know you're safe. I'll take you to a hotel just like you wish." He told her and Alexa couldn't find the right words to say to him.

                 🥀🥀🥀
Henry swerved into a street his mind wandering as he drove to his mom's hotel. He took a quick look at her. She seemed so troubled, clearly lost. Somehow, he wished he could know why.
"Alexa." she suddenly said softly.
"Sorry?" He said raising his eyebrows at her questioningly.
"I'm Alexa Erickson," she said without looking at him.
"Oh...Okay,  it's nice meeting you, Alexa." He said, quite surprised she just told him her name. His Mother's hotel came into view and he pulled up in the parking lot, telling the lady they had arrived before getting out of his car. He had walked a few meters before glancing back and realizing she was still sitting in the car. He walked back and knocked on the window softly.
Her head snapped up and her cheeks flushed in realization. He opened the door to let her out. Her long curly black hair was roughly tied in a ponytail, her shirt was smudged in different places, and all he could see in her dark brown eyes was deep frustration and perplexity.
They walked into the hotel and Henry told her to sit while he went to talk to Laura Forbes, one of the ladies behind the counter. She was a good friend of his and had been working at his mom's hotel for a couple of years.
" Hello Miss." he greeted. She looked up at him and her eyes widened in surprise.
" Henry?!"
"How are you doing, Laura?" He asked with a smile.
"I'm doing fine," she told him then a slight frown appeared on her face.
" I'm so sorry I couldn't make it to..." she started and tears welled up in her grey eyes.
" It's fine, Laura," he told her, feeling a sudden surge of emotions rush through him.
" I'm so sorry. I just couldn't make myself be there when I didn't even want to believe..."
He was silent, not knowing what to say to her. If she continued, he'd break down in tears.
"I need you to help lodge someone here." He told her quickly.
"Oh... okay no problem."
He glanced back at Alexa, who was still sitting and staring at nothing. Laura cleared her throat, making him turn back to look at her.
"So...who's she?" She asked. Henry caught sight of a digital wall clock and his eyes widened at the time. 9:15 pm? People would be fretting over him by now as he'd switched off his line since then.
" Listen, I've got to be on my way now. Please I need you to get her a room and make sure she's comfortable. I'll talk to you later." he said quickly then turned making his way back to Alexa. She stood up on seeing him.
"That lady will get you a room. Please talk to her when you need anything." He told her.
"Thank you so much," she said gratefully. Henry reached out to touch her shoulder lightly.
"You'll be fine." He smiled at her before turning to leave.
     It was past 10 pm when he finally got to his home. He was puzzled to find a car already parked in his usual parking space and another in front of his apartment.
"I think he's here already." a familiar female voice announced.