🌺CHAPTER SIX🌺

THE TURMOIL in the Harners' home was agonizing. They had barely spoken to each other since the inconceivable was confirmed the previous day. A few hours after Alison and Alyssa had made their discovery known to their parents, Alexa's roommate called. She had told them all of it. Every ugly fact.
With the degree to which they were each hurting, Alison wondered how anguished her sister would be.

"Nathan!"

Her mother's cry for her father's name jolted her, sending the plate of food initially in her arms across the dining table and crashing to the floor.
Her dad, who had been seated on a sofa in the living room, sprang up alarmed. Her mother came running down the stairs toward him, gasping,

"It's Alexa! She's on the phone!"

In an instant, Alison was off her seat, almost tripping on the chair in the process. Mrs. Tori, their childhood nanny who had been more around during this predicament, scurried out of the kitchen. Thuds of heavy footfalls were heard as Alyssa descended the stairs briskly. Each of them wore identical anticipatory looks.

"I'm so sorry I put you all through so much," They heard Alexa finally speak in a quavering voice over the phone.

Alison's heart swelled. She hadn't realized how much she missed that delicate voice.

" Sweetheart," Her mother started, her voice brittle, "Thank you so much for calling."

When Alexa started sobbing, Alison couldn't stop her tears from brimming over. It hurt so much that she couldn't be there to comfort her.

"I have to tell you everything," Alexa blubbered.

" We know all about it, Alexa," Her dad stated softly.

She was silent, probably pondering how much they knew.

"Where are you, Alexa?" Her father asked.

"Not so far away," She replied.

They all exchanged questioning glances.
Why was she being evasive?

" Alexa, we need to know where you are," He stressed.

" Please trust me. I'm totally fine where I am."

Her parents let out baffled sighs.

" I'd tell you, but I can't right now. Please, I don't how I'd face you."

Alison's stomach twisted at her sister's pained words. She watched as her parents kept on with their futile persuasion. Then they finally gave in and proceeded with a few questions; ones that seemed to squeeze life out of Alexa. She couldn't even utter her violator's name. But Alison was certain, whoever that guy was, he was not going unpunished. The phone call had ended with her dad telling Alexa how much they loved her and filling her with words of solace.

" What did you do?!" Alyssa yelled in a paroxysm of rage.
Everyone turned to her quite shocked.

" I need to see my sister!" She had tears streaming down her face.

"Alyssa, please," her dad said, reaching for her.

"No!" She jerked away from him and stormed off. The slamming of her room's door could be heard throughout the house.

🥀🥀🥀
To Henry, aiding Alexa was helping himself get over the anguish of his loss—at least temporarily. The memories of that traumatic event wouldn't be so easy to obliterate. He decided to pass by the hotel on his way home from work to see how she was doing, fully aware of how perturbed she had been after calling home the previous day.

Once he had arrived at his Mom's hotel, he pulled up in the parking space and made his way in.

" Evening, Laura," He greeted, as he made his way to the counter.
She was receiving a call, so she simply smiled and waved at him.