Chapter One: Perturbation

Winifred had just turned eighteen. She was so excited, her mother had been crying and rambling on about when she was a little girl, always wanting to be with her mother. How she mimicked everything she did. Her father was a lord over looking a town in Southern Northumbria. They had knights living in the town to protect the villagers from any attackers.

Winifred heard stories of Norsemen attacking all kingdoms of England. She heard stories of them pillaging ministries. The idea of them attacking a place so peaceful and holy, it sent chills down her spine.

But she had never seen a Norseman or heard anything from surrounding towns. It didn't seem possible for it to happen at her home. Why would it? They were in the middle of nowhere! Sure they were next to the river of Derwent that was connected to a few others that lead to the ocean, but why would the Norsemen go all the way to their town instead of going to a big city.

Winifred sat in her bedroom, praying as she often was made to do. She thanked God for her health, her family and her safety.

"Oh! Can you make sure my brother Edwin is safe? Perhaps you could send him home, I miss him so much, and so does mama." She said out loud. Edwin had been training to become a knight during most of his life, he was sadly barely home. But when he was he was so much fun! He would play with her and he would show her what he learned, even if their father yelled at him not to. He was much older than Winifred but was very much a child at heart from not being able to be a child ever. They had three siblings between them, but they didn't make it past ten years old. Her mother had never fully recovered, neither had her father. But he hides it better.

Her mother prays to her children, hoping God will let them listen from heaven. She would update them on life on earth and hoped they were well and happy. Her mother would tell her about her brother that she never got to know. He was a sweet boy who was also a thorn in his mother's side. But he got a fever and it worsened and he died in his sleep. She had two sisters that she remembered vaguely. But she wasn't sure if she remembered or her mother just told her a story where her mind fabricated it as her own.

Her mother coddled Winifred, breast feeding her longer than a mother should, carrying her around when she could walk. She tried to keep her little forever and safe. So safe. Her mother was very protective, she didn't like Winifred doing anything that could lead to danger. She was forced to stay inside most days and learn how to be a proper wife. Occasionally she could go outside and see her two friends. She liked when her mother let her. But she had to constantly reassure her she wouldn't do anything risky. She wouldn't talk to strangers and wouldn't be out too long.

Her father knew he'd have to talk about marriage soon, but he knew his wife and she'd never allow it, not yet. She would say what she had been saying since Winifred started bleeding "she's still a child". Her father never pushed it because he also wasn't ready to see his youngest leave just yet. Edwin was already in York becoming a respected knight, no longer in the town following a knight around, polishing his armor.

Winifred enjoyed embroidery and sewing. She didn't mind mending her gowns, even if they had help. Winifred didn't have to wear a hair covering just yet, she was still a single woman and not yet claimed. Not that men hadn't tried, a few have, even a poor village boy who she shared her first kiss with. He promised to save all his money to pay her dowry. They had a crazy dream that they'd run off together. But it didn't happen. Her stomach dropped when she accidentally saw him shagging his cousin in his barn. She didn't see anything, but she heard the noise and he was behind her, penetrating her. He locked eyes with Winifred and knew he was in trouble. She walked away with tears running down her face. He raced after her, trying to calm her, trying to tell her men have needs, that what he did meant nothing. That he loved Winifred with all his heart. But he was dirty, he was disgusting. He tried to kiss her but she pulled away. She told him to never speak to her again and he never did.