Chapter 2

*5 days later

Bryce POV:

It has been five days, and Tessa still hadn't woke up. Addison was constantly calling people canceling things for the both of us. It made me crazy to think she was missing work because of me. But, she insists that it was fine. She had made Nina and Beau cancel both of our schedules, letting the people know what had occurred. She then called Serenity's school and explained the situation. Luckily Serenity had been ahead of her class, so the teacher was not worried about her.  

I had not been going anywhere. Addison had forced me to go home to shower and eat. But, I needed to know about Tessa. I needed to know about the next plan or the next step I need to take for Serenity. It had been almost a week already, and the doctors said the longer it takes her, the more unlikely it is for her to come out of it. I kept Serenity as far away from the hospital as possible. But, she was persistent, so wants a dance for one hour. I let her sit with her mom. Addison and I had just gone to get some coffee when Tessa's doctor came running to me.

Doc: Bryce and Addison, I am glad I caught you. Tessa is awake and asking for the both of you. But, we may warn you we think this is "the surge."

B: What is "the surge."

A: It's the increased energy and alertness someone gets before someone dies.

Doc: You been to medical school Addison

A: No, I watch Grey's anatomy all the medical school I need.

Addison and I walked into Tessa's room slowly. She gave a weak smile. Addison stopped at the door and decided it would be best to give me time alone with Tessa.

T: Addison, would you mind calling whoever has Serenity to bring her here?

A: Of course, Tess

Addison left the room and closed the door behind her. I sat down in the seat next to her and grabbed her hand. I gave Tessa a small smile.

T: Bryce, please don't cry. I need you to listen because what I am about to say will affect our little girl, okay?

B: Okay, Tess. But, I need you to know

T: I know Chance died, I saw him in my coma. That's how I know I'm not gonna make it, Bryce. As much as I want to, I don't think I am. So I am gonna need you to take care of our little girl even when things get hard. Make all of her birthdays so big. She can't even remember the biggest one. When she goes to prom or her first dance, be a total dad and bring out the camera. And please don't let her date someone like you when you were younger. Tell my little girl the story of us and how we were the best of friends. Don't let her forget me, Bryce.

By this time, I was crying. I didn't want to have to do this without Tessa. She was my best friend, the best mother. How would Serenity survive this?

B: I can't do this without you, Tessa. I would never let her forget you. You are the biggest part of her life, of my life. Please don't give up.

T: And Bryce, don't give up on Addison. She is perfect. She is the woman for you and Serenity. That is the only reason I am so calm. I know you two are in great hands. Marry that woman and give her kids.  Love her, Bryce, and allow her to be there for you when I am gone. I love you, Bryce. Thank you for being an amazing friend and father. Take care of our little girl.

B: I love you more, Tessa. 

I got up to walk out of the room in full tears. I looked at Addison and hugged her. I let her know it was her time to see her.

Addison POV:

I walked into my best friend's room, not believing anything. I sat down, not wanting to believe it was the surge. It was tough for me to think that Serenity could lose her mother and that I was losing my best friend. I finally started crying uncontrollably. This was the first time I had allowed myself to cry. Tessa scooted over in the bed and patted the side next to her. I climbed into her bed. I hugged her tightly us not speaking for about five minutes until she finally spoke up.