Holding On For William

Julia sat at her desk looking out at the sterile room. She could no longer concentrate on the report she was writing. She could no longer concentrate on anything. Her attention turned to the stirrings inside her. She laughed cynically, she, DOCTOR Julia Ogden, was suffering from 'female hysteria!' What was she going to do? When did it begin? She thought back to when she first met him and how their relationship had progressed.

It was March 12th, 1893, a Sunday. Julia had been working at the morgue exactly one week and this was the first crime scene she had attended on her own. She'd been called to a home where a fourteen year old boy, Clayton Bowles, had been discovered hanging in a tree in the garden. She had arrived just in time to see the back of the detective as he stepped into a carriage. She had hoped to arrive before the detective left but was delayed when she couldn't find a hansom. She found Constable Crabtree, a young, enthusiastic policeman, standing by the body. "Det. Murdoch apologizes for leaving before you arrived Doctor but he has been called away. He will join you later at the morgue." Julia was not too concerned now at missing the detective. She wasn't sure she was ready to meet him yet. She had been told Det. Murdoch was a brilliant but somewhat intense man. He didn't sound like someone she would enjoy working with. The constable told her they had found two more bodies inside the house, they appeared to be the boy's parents. It looked like she was going to be here for a while.

Julia had been at the morgue for over an hour and had done a preliminary external examination of the three deceased. She had just started her report when she heard the door open. Looking up she saw a handsome, well-dressed young man walking through the morgue. He took a quick glance at the three bodies as he passed, then ascended the steps to her office. Removing his hat he looked directly at her "Dr. Ogden?" he enquired. Julia shook the hand he offered. A bolt shot through her body like a static shock. "Det. Murdoch," he introduced himself. She couldn't quite find the words to answer. All she could do was nod. This was Det. Murdoch? He certainly didn't fit the picture she had painted from everything she'd been told. She had expected an older, gruff man much like the other detectives she'd met in the last week. Perhaps working in the morgue wasn't going to be so bad after all. "Have you examined the bodies Doctor?" the detective immediately got down to business. Well if that's the way it's going to be Julia thought... "I have done a preliminary external examination, Mr. and Mrs. Bowles were stabbed several times and the boy, as you know, hung himself. He did not do a very good job, he must have suffered." "That is what you get for murdering your parents." was the detective's reply. "That's a bit cold Detective." Julia offered. The detective just looked at her and raised an eyebrow. Hmm, maybe he wouldn't lighten things up after all. "Well Detective I am going to get back to my Sunday. I will finish the post mortems tomorrow and get the results to you as soon as I have finished." The detective looked surprised, "Are you not going to finish them now Doctor?" "No, it is Sunday and I have somewhere I need to be." Julia replied, despite the fact she really didn't have somewhere she needed to be. "I would appreciate it if you would finish them immediately Doctor, I would like to close the case as soon as possible." Really! What cheek! "I am afraid you will have to wait just like everyone else. I have two other post mortems to finish in the morning. I will finish these, she gestured in the direction of the bodies, as soon as I have done those. Good day." Julia dismissed him and set about putting the bodies in the cold storage. The detective however didn't leave. He came to help her move the gurneys. When they had done he turned to Julia, bowed his head slightly, said good day as he put on his hat and turned to leave. Julia was bewildered. She had never reacted to anyone's touch as she had to his. She really didn't know what to make of him. She was going to have to make some inquiries.

The next morning Julia finished the two outstanding post mortems then proceeded to the first of Det. Murdoch's murder victims. She had just finished the second one when Constable Crabtree entered. "Dr. Ogden, Det. Murdoch was wondering if you had completed the post mortems on the three bodies from yesterday? He is quite anxious to close the case." "Hello Constable Crabtree." Julia turned to face him, "I have finished the two stabbing victims, I am just about to start on the boy. It should not take too long, as I am fairly sure he died of suffocation. The rope was too short to sever the spinal column." Julia thought this was the ideal opportunity to ask a few questions about Det. Murdoch. "Constable..." she hesitated, perhaps this wasn't the right person, however she didn't know who else to ask. "Doctor?" "Have you worked with Det. Murdoch long?" "Since I started at the constabulary Doctor." The constable replied. "Is he always so...?" The constable smiled, "Earnest? Intense? Inflexible? Yes. But he is also brilliant and the best detective in the constabulary. He uses techniques that the other detectives do not even know about and his conviction record is second to none." "You look up to him Constable." It was a statement. "Yes, I hope to be a detective just like Det. Murdoch one day." "You are his right hand man?" "I am." the constable was proud to work for such an accomplished policeman. "It sounds like the constabulary is very important to him. Does he have a family?" Julia asked nonchalantly. "No Doctor, although he is engaged. Unfortunately his fiancée has just become ill with consumption so you will have to excuse him, he is not himself of late." "I see." replied Julia. She wasn't sure if she wanted to hear about a fiancée, she suddenly found herself somewhat put out. Now why would she have that reaction? "I am sorry to hear that. The prognosis is usually poor with consumption. I will take that into account when dealing with him in the future. I will bring the report to the stationhouse as soon as I have finished Constable."