True Family: Chapter 4

"Lisa, Linda. Please. Please talk to me. I'm sorry. I really am. I had no idea you got into the school."

There still wasn't a reply from inside their room.

I sighed. "Can I at least congratulate you? I'm really proud of you guys."

Still no answer.

"Just give up." a voice startled me.

"Dude, you almost gave me a heart attack." I said to Trent, holding my hand over my heart.

Trent shrugged. "That would serve you right."

Ouch. Ok that hurt.

"Ok look, I get why Lisa and Linda are ignoring me. And Tony and Tory. And well, Joey. But why the rest of you?"

"Because we're a family and we stick up for each other and protect each other from those who hurt us. And frankly, your the one hurting us."

I rolled my eyes. "Real deep." It came out sounding nonchalant but in reality, what he said really hurt me.

Trent just shook his head and left. That's the longest conversation I've had with any member of my family. Grown ups included.

I groaned and decided to go out for a walk. I went to my room and grabbed a jacket and left. It was a chilly day, almost time for Christmas break.

My phone started ringing and I picked it up without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello." I said.

"Hi Jacky. How are you?"

"Mavis?"

"Who else?" Mavis said, chuckling.

I smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm perfect. But how are you?"

"I'm good."

"I don't think so. I had this weird feeling that something was wrong."

I laughed. "Really?"

"Yup. And I'm guessing it has something to do with your family."

I sighed. "You guessed correctly."

"I honestly don't know why you get so worked up about these kinds of things. Just leave them. You're better off without them."

I gasped. "Mavis, you know how much they mean to me. And it's my fault. They are my family."

"Well, Martin and I, we are your family. We'll always be here for you."

I smiled. "I'll always be there for you two as well."

We talked for a few more minutes then we said bye to each other.

I ended up at the park. There were kids playing on the swings and monkey bars. I sat on the bench a few steps away from the kids.

I remember coming here with Tony and Tory. I sighed. The three of us were very close. But that changed. And I knew I was to blame.

Gosh, why did everything have to be so hard? Why did they all have to ignore me? Don't they know how much this is affecting me?

I suddenly felt very angry. I got up, picked up a rock and threw it at a tree.

"Well, I'm guessing you're having a bad day." I heard someone say. I turned around to find an old man sitting on the bench.