Chapter 39

Getaway

"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul." – Judy Garland

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm coming!" I shouted as I placed the roll of paper towels and Windex on the coffee table before making my way to the front door.

It was Thursday night and I was alone – mom still had not come back from her trip, and I was bored out of my mind. Since there was no school tomorrow because of Staff Development day, I figured now was a good time to start cleaning the entire apartment.

There were a couple of school assignments for me to do, but those could wait until Sunday night – if even then. In the past week, it had become increasingly harder for me to find the motivation to do any of my homework.

What was the point?

I had just finished cleaning the kitchen, and had moved onto the living room when someone knocked on the door.

Swinging the door open, I half expected to see Aiden, but instead Lucas's grinning face stared back at me. "Hi Lucas." I smiled at him. "What are you doing here?"

Judging by the way he was dressed, he had come here straight from practice.

"I'm here to pick you up!" He proudly stated as he gave me a once over. "But from the looks of it, I should have called first. What the hell are you wearing?"

Glaring, I replied. "These are my cleaning clothes, I will have you know." I had on a pair of old maroon Northside sweats from freshman year P.E, an oversized t-shirt and my hair was tied at the top of my head in a messy bun that was coming apart.

Not my best look, but in my defense, I have looked worse before.

"Well – Buttercup," Lucas said plopping down on the couch. "Go take a shower and pack a bag."

"I know you and Aiden are used to just barging in here and demanding we go places, but you're going to have to be a bit more specific this time." I folded my arms and cocked an eyebrow at him.

"We're going away for the weekend." He rolled his eyes, picking up the remote and turning on the TV.

"And where are we going?"

"Lake house."

"Where?"

"Michigan."

I contemplated his words before I went into my room and began digging through the closet for a duffle bag. "A little heads up would have been nice." I mumbled under my breathing.

"What's the fun in that?" Lucas shouted as I began pulling clothes off the hangers.

Once showered and packed, Lucas drove us to Caroline's house to pick her up.

"Brooke said she can't come!" Caroline huffed as she got in the back of Lucas's Jeep. "Her parents are honestly so ridiculous sometimes!"

"You know her parents are strict, Care." I turned in my seat to look at her.

"Exams are over! Why can't they just let her have fun?" She rolled her eyes, leaning forward in her seat so that her head was poking between the seats. Caroline continued to complain about Brooke's parents the entire time on the way to Aiden's house, meanwhile Lucas and I nodded and agreed on occasion.

According to Lucas, it was just going to be the four of us this weekend – Caroline, Lucas, Aiden and I. And I for one, was actually pretty excited to be going out of town for a bit.