Chapter 4: progress

I should tell you more about our circumstances. We had a terrific house, I loved it. It was built in a colonial style, with a verandah all around the bottom level and a balcony all around the upper level. It was spacious with six large bedrooms (all ensuite) and the decor was simple, but classy. The house was surrounded by extensive lawns and gardens, and we had a beautiful swimming pool and a tennis court.

My father made good money, very good money, but he could not have afforded to buy this house. No, it had been a wedding present from Mum's parents.

By the beginning of the second week, I was feeling relaxed. My father was even speaking to me again. Mum and Audrey were pleased with the progress of my training. Pearl, well, I won't say that she was totally convinced, but then again, she was worrying about everything, big time.

"I just hope she can survive her own wedding," Mum quipped.

We had the final fittings for our gowns. Deirdre's needed only a few minor alterations to fit me. We had our shoes (I was now able to walk in high heels) and all the other accessories. What a complicated business, but there were lots of laughs also.

Deirdre was my support whenever I felt doubts, the only one I felt that I could safely talk to about my predicament. She was great; telling me to be brave, assuring me that I looked the part and so on. I experienced increasing guilt. How could I have been so mean to my dear little sister? I had stolen her place as bridesmaid at her sister's wedding. I felt like a total arsehole.

I made a solemn vow to myself that I would never tease or be nasty to Deirdre again.