Chapter 7: next day

Deirdre got me up around nine-thirty the next morning. I was struggling to collect my wits, feeling really dopey - I was never a 'morning person'.

"Here, go and have a swim." She handed me one of her swimsuits and a bathing cap.

It was the perfect solution. I was rejoining the world as I swam gently up and down; I was at my ease, as they say.

Bloody Audrey burst the lovely bubble, "Sandra, get out. Move your pretty arse; you've got to help us make the salads and nibbles."

She made up for her unwanted intrusion by helping me to get dressed and ready for the day.

"Sandra, apron." Mum was in her snappy, bossy mood.

We four 'girls' beavered away in the kitchen while Dad organised the tables, chairs, etc in the outside entertainment area.

Audrey looked at the mountain of food we had prepared, "Mum, are we expecting the cast of Cats as well?"

"You know I always worry that we won't have enough food."

The guests started arriving. Owen was very impressed with our house and grounds. I showed him around the garden. Then the barbecue was ready.

I sat with Nan and Grandfather to eat and chat. I did get on with them very well (even as Sandra).

After we'd eaten, people began to help clean up. Then Owen asked me to show him the house, so I gave him a guided tour.