drive up

Kennedy sighed as she put her chin in the palm of her hand, staring out the window. Her mother looked at her and put her hand on her shoulder.

"Oh Ken, im sorry but you need this." Silence. Complete silence. Her new baby sister-Kylie-was sleeping in the car seat, content. Kennedy envied her 1 month old sister. She had a mom that was there, a dad that was clean, and she was unaware of the world and how cruel it was.

"Do you want me to play daddy's tape?" Her mother asked her. Kennedy shook her head. When Kennedy was 6, her father shot up meth and died. Kennedy was very close with him. He dropped her off at school that morning. And that was the last day she was ever happy.

Her father was aware that his days were ending. He loved his daughter more than anything, so in order for her to remember him he made a mix tape for her featuring all the songs that he loved and that he use to play in the car.

But 11 years went by. Kennedy's mom got remarried to a rich man, and had another baby. But one thing that her mother wanted more than anything was for Kennedy to not end up like her father. Her sister gave her the brochure for "CAMP S.Y.N" and now they were on their way.

"I can't believe I have to spend a whole summer in that shit hole." She cursed.

"Kennedy!" Her mother scolded and quickly looked back to see if she had woken up Kylie. She didn't.

"Listen. It's all going to be fine. There are going to be kids just like you there. There aren't even that many. Counting you there should be about 8, honey." Kennedy huffed.

They pulled into the campsite and it seemed there were already two other cars there. They parked and Kennedy grabbed her bags and her father's tape while her mother grabbed Kylie. There was a girl who was black but very light talking to an old lady that Kennedy assumed was her grandmother, annoyed. And a boy, who's mom was crying while giving him a hug. A grown women came out of one of the biggest cabins, smiling.

"Hello campers! You three can step right in here, while we wait for the others." She said way too cheery for the teenagers to handle. Kennedy looked at her mom.

"Ken, you're going to change when you go in there I know you will." Her mother gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek. Kylie was now awake and smiled at her older sister. Kennedy smiled back at her sister and took her from her mothers arms. Kylie touched Kennedy's short blonde hair, but touched the pink part at the bottom, amazed with the color.

"I love you, Kylie. I'll miss you." She kissed her sisters tiny head. Kylie smiled even harder, so hard that her tiny blue eyes were smiling with her. She handed her back to her mother. "I'll see you later, mom. Love you." She said walking into the cabin.

"I love you too, Kennedy!" Was the last thing, she heard before the door slammed behind her and her summer officially started.