Part I: Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick: Chapter 1

September 20, 1946

One Year After the War

Bushfield, Wisconsin

“Ow, ow, ow!” Franny’s heart skipped, hope filling her chest  as she heard a sharp squeal of pain. She broke away from the group she was with, searching the store. She spotted Sarah Meyers in a corner, her head poking out of a small changing room, the curtain drawn close. Dismay trickled in like a slow-flowing stream, her shoulders sinking towards the floor. No need to run for the sick bay, there’s no injury here for Nurse Franny. “Can someone help me—oh, Franny, could you?”

“I’m coming,” Franny reached her quick, sliding between the wall and the curtain and making sure it was tucked back in place behind her. Sarah Meyers was only half dressed, a button on a brightly colored dress caught in one of her perfect curls. 

“I just wanted to try it on.”

“Who knew shopping was so much work?” Franny teased a little as she unwound the strand of hair. The task was no medicine, but at least she was able to take care of someone for a few seconds. “All set.”

“Thank you so much, Franny.” She clutched the dress to her chest, relief softening her features. She ran her fingers through the newly freed curls, rubbing her scalp. 

Franny recognized the worry creasing her brow and said, “You didn’t ruin your hair.” 

Sarah Meyers beamed at her, “You saved my life.”

“Oh, oh, I wouldn’t go that far.” She really wouldn’t. Being a nurse in the war? That’s when she saved lives. Being stuck here in nowhere Wisconsin? Franny was far from saving lives here. It left a pang inside her heart. “Have a nice day, Sarah.”

She backed out of the dressing room, careful not to expose Sarah as she eased out. For that one moment, hearing someone scream ow, she’d been overjoyed at the prospect of a patient to treat. How twisted was that? Life just wasn’t the same anymore. The only person she had to take care of didn’t want her advice or guidance. She didn’t even want to be here in this little town. She wanted to be a nurse again, to go to the big city and work at a hospital. 

“There you are,” someone spoke nearby. She turned and spotted Hattie. “Thought we lost you!”

“Still here,” she gave Hattie a smile she didn’t truly feel and followed her towards the other girls. Pearl and Opal, sisters, were shaking their heads as they discussed a set of shoes. 

“I found her!” Hattie announced and looped their arms. Franny was certain she intended to keep her from wandering off again.

“Hattie, Franny, which ones do you like better? Peep toe or no peep?” Opal held up the Oxfords and Franny stared down at them. The peep toe shoe was cute, white with brown trim. She knew they were the latest in fashion only because Opal told her so earlier. She felt the walls closing in, pressure pushing on her chest and back, driving her into the floor. She hadn’t picked out shoes since being issued the gruesome twosome that matched her uniform. Is this my life now? Helping people choose shoes?

She couldn’t find it in herself to answer and Hattie responded for the both of them, “I like these better.” She grabbed Opal’s wrist and raised the winner high, the peep toe striking a beam of sunlight that came through a window.

“See?” Opal stormed back to Pearl. “I’m buying these.” Franny crossed her arms and waited politely as they paid for the shoes. Then they bustled out of the store and onto the sidewalk. The warmth of the air brushed against Franny’s skin. It was a good time of year, warm days and cool nights. Her mouth watered as she smelled the french fries cooking across the street at the diner. She could eat the french fries all day long.