Chapter 3

(Alex's P.O.V)

As we neared the hotel, I could see Niall growing tense and uneasy. Even through the dark, I could see his shoulders tensed up, his knuckles white as he gripped the neck of his guitar, and his brisk pace stiffen. What was he so worried about? Could it be because we were in an unfamiliar city in the middle of the night? No. It was already dark when I'd seen him at the fountain.

I looked up, as of the answer to my question could be found in the sky. I could see the hotel, barely peeking over the others. "Hey. Umm... Alex? Can we maybe go through the back entrance?" Niall asked. He had slowed down and now was walking right next to me. "Yeah. Sure," I said. As soon as I said that, he became more at ease, his body relaxing. "Why?" I pressed. "That's why," Niall pointed ahead. No sooner had had he pointed when the front of the hotel came into view. There was a giant line of girls waiting outside, screaming and singing and holding signs. "Why are they here?" I whispered as we hurried to the back entrance. "I hear there's this really famous band staying here. In town for a concert this weekend or something. Crazy, ain't it?" Niall said. I nodded. Definitely crazy.

As soon as we got to the lobby, Niall rushed to the elevator. I almost had to run to catch up to him. As soon as I got in, he shut the doors. "In a rush?" I asked, mockingly. "I'd rather not get stuck in an elevator full of screaming girls. I'm claustrophobic, for your information," Niall retorted. I laughed. "So. What floor?" Niall asked, punching in the '7'. "I'm on five," I told him. Niall pushed the button for my floor and the elevator started to move up. The doors opened and I was about to step out when Niall grabbed my arm. I looked down at where he was gripping my arm then up at him, confused. As soon as we made eye contact, he let go. "Ummm... Uhhh..." he mumbled, trying to find something in his pockets. He pulled out a piece of paper and scribbled something down on it really fast. "Here you go," he handed me the note and I stepped out of the elevator.

"Bye.

"See ya."

The door closed and I hurried back to my hotel room. I flung myself into a chair. My best friend, Anastasia, came in. "Alex! Where have you been?! It's one in the morning! I was worried sick! You scared me to death!" she yelled. But her voice seemed miles away. My mind was occupied with what the note said. In sloppy handwriting, there was a number with a message below it.

"Hey. Text me when you make it back? Wanna make sure you're ok. Thanks for a great night. -Niall"

************************************

A/N: Sorry for the long wait for this chapter! Time got away from me!

I don't know how often I can post now. I strained a muscle behind my knee so I've got physical therapy 3 days a week. That means less time to write.

Anyway... Merry Christmas to everybody who celebrates! If you don't, then have a great holiday!