Chapter Four

Merlin watched Lancelot closely as he revealed his name, afraid to see the spark of recognition in his eyes. After his capture, Cenred had bragged far and wide that he had the greatest Sorcerer in all of Avalon at his command. His name was used to spread fear among Cenred's Kingdom, with the rumours even reaching the Northern Plains.

However, instead of flinching back or looking at him with fear in his eyes, the man before him simply smiled. "Its a pleasure to meet you Merlin." Lancelot said taking a small step closer to him. "You're bleeding" He said quickly gesturing to the growing red stain on his side. 

Merlin cursed under his breath as he looked down, his thin tunic revealed more bruises and cuts as the dark cover of night began to recede. His whole body trembled from tiredness and the shock of his escape. Lancelot's eyes widened in alarm as Merlin lifted his head to look at him, his eyes fluttered as if wanting to close. "I need...a ship...it's almost morning." Merlin muttered weakly. 

Lancelot took a quick step toward him making Merlin flinch. Lancelot paused and put his hands up in the air. "I'm not going to hurt you my friend, I only wish to help."

Suddenly, the door to the Tavern behind them burst open with a loud bang. A tall man stumbled out with a wide grin, his gaze searching until he turned to Lancelot. "Oy Lance! Where did you bugger off to? I bet Percival that you went off with that barmaid."

Lancelot sighed as Merlin inched closer to his horse, his face pained. He looked behind him and rolled his eyes at the man. "Gwaine, now is not the time."

Gwaine frowned as he noticed his serious tone and finally noticed the man he was talking to. "Who's your new friend?"

Merlin saw Lancelot about to open his mouth to either shoo the man away or answer him but before he could utter a word, Merlin locked eyes with the other man and whispered, "Merlin, my name's Merlin." 

He knew from the look from both of them that he couldn't dodge them or their sudden curiosity in him. They both wore loose black tunics with dark trousers, brown belts and each had a naval Cutlass strapped to their side. Yet, despite their intimidating appearance, they both looked at him with warmth and concern that he had not seen in a long time. 

Gwaine looked at Merlin sceptically before a wide smile appeared on his face. His brown eyes twinkled with mischief, "Well then Merlin, any friend of Lancelot's is a friend of mine. I'm Gwaine."

"Oh we're not-" Merlin started shaking his head. He suddenly stopped as he felt the world spin for a moment, his vision blurry as he tried to focus on the two men.

"He is and he's hurt." Lancelot said quickly interrupting him.

Gwaine's eyebrows rose as he began to notice Merlin's dirty clothes and the wound at his side. "Who's bad side did you get on?" He asked with a whistle.

"I'm fine." Merlin said quickly as he tried to walk away but staggered and found both men suddenly holding him up from both sides. He looked from one to the other with a sigh.

"Don't mean to disagree with you mate, but this is far from fine." Gwaine said frowning. 

As they dragged him over to sit on a barrel Merlin sighed. He looked past the two men to see the sun had started to peek out beyond the horizon. "I need....a ship." He said urgently pressing his hand to his side to stop the bleeding. 

"Well you're in the right place then mate." Gwaine chuckled, "but you're gonna make it anywhere far looking like that."

Lancelot nodded, "He's right Merlin, we have a friend inside who's good at medicine we could-"

"I can't." Merlin whispered tiredly. Be brushed back his short damp hair. "She'll find me. I need...I need to get away from here."

"Is this she, the one that did all this to you?" Gwaine asked in a cold voice.

"No." Merlin shook his head. "I was... I just need to go. Thank you for your help but I can't stay." He said softly as he moved to stand. Gwaine rolled his eyes and pushed him back down to sit. 

Lancelot and Gwaine exchanged a look and nodded to each other. 

"As it so happens my friend, we have a ship." Gwaine said with wink.

"You do?" Merlin asked, a glint of hope in his eyes.

"A big fancy one." Gwaine said proudly as he bumped his shoulder playfully.

"But you don't even know me, why would you help me?" Merlin asked quietly as he rubbed his eyes. He turned to his head to look at Lancelot when he felt the edges of his vision darken. Suddenly, Merlin pitched forward his eyes rolling back, the two men barely caught him before his face hit the ground. 

"Is he okay?" Gwaine asked looking worriedly at the young man.

Lancelot quickly checked his pulse and placed a hand on his forehead. "I think he has a fever."

"So we're really gonna do this?" Gwaine asked looking to Lancelot with a serious look.

Lancelot glanced at Merlin and nodded. "We can't just leave him here. It's the honourable thing to do." 

Gwaine frowned, "Especially with someone after him." They both sighed and moved to lift Merlin up, half-dragging him between them towards a large brown and white ship with ivory sails at the end of the dock.

"The Captain's gonna have our heads." Lancelot stated with a side glance.

"Ah, only if he finds out." Gwaine said with a smirk.