Chapter 7 - The Prince of Hell

I go straight to my bedroom as soon as we reach home, unwilling to subject myself a minute longer to Dimitra's long face, nasty remarks, and moody stares.

Having spent most of the evening trying to win over the Nephilim prince but he ended up bidding on her little sister must be hard on Dimitra's ego. Thank goodness she's leaving for Fiji tomorrow. The man who won the bid on her wants to spend two weeks there and another two weeks in Australia. It's a really good thing for me because otherwise, she'd make my life unbearable. Dimitra is a vindictive creature.

Deedee, however, isn't going anywhere far. She has a long-standing arrangement with Sterling Rosenheim, the oldest son of the shipping magnate, Robert Rosenheim. He bid on her last night just so that no one else could. But they've been doing this for years. He travels a lot but whenever he's back, he summons her, and she'll go running. I saw them together before and I always thought that he was her boyfriend. How naive was I?

I gathered all this from the conversation that I heard when I was sitting quietly in the back of the car, on the way home from the event tonight.

I close the door behind me and shed my shoes, my dress, and roll the thigh highs off as I go, barely aware that I'm making a trail across the room before I turn on the shower. My thoughts go to Sacha Gauthier, the Nephilim prince as hot water beats down on my head, cascading down my face and body. When I close my eyes, I can still see his piercing eyes...and the feelings I had comes rushing back, making my heart race, and my breathing uneven. I place my forehead and both hands flat on the white marble tiles in front of me as a strong wave of longing squeezes my heart. What is he doing now? Is he thinking about me too? Does he feel this way about me? Even a little bit?

I stay in the shower for a long time before I get out to dry myself and finally dress for bed.

I'm running a brush through my damp hair when there's a knock on my door.

When I crack the door open, one of Astaroth's Cambion bodyguards, Franco is standing there. He's in his usual black suit and tie. "Your father would like a word with you in his office, Ms. Danica," he says.

I've been expecting this. Astaroth was very mad when he saw me tonight. So, is this it? Is this my last moment? Was this morning the last sunrise I saw on this earth? At least I watched it like it was the last time I'd ever see it. The same thing I did the day before.

I nod before I place the hairbrush on the dresser and grab a wrap to cover my boyshorts and a matching lace chemise that I prefer to wear to bed.

I open the door wider to go out and follow the big and formidable guard down the stairs and through the hallways to the main part of the house.

I've been summoned to my father's office a handful of times before. That's what happens when you're a troublemaker. But I was always clever...I think. I was never caught red-handed doing something I wasn't supposed to, so all I had to do was deny deny deny. Tonight was different. Tonight I was being too stupid and too reckless and Astaroth saw me. I couldn't tell him that it was my doppelganger that he saw. I mean, I would've if I thought he'd buy it.

Astaroth likes to surround himself with beautiful things. Our house is massive and very stylish. Professionally designed. The girls' wing is modern and sleek with big windows, glasses, and all clean lines. It's filled with muted blush and white mixed with splashes of greens and aqua blues with large pieces of art throughout. It looks like it belongs in a magazine.

You know you've reached Astaroth's domain when the color palate changes to predominantly earthy tones of gold, tan, and cream mixed with splashes of jewel colors. It's tastefully ornate and flamboyant without being tacky.