Chapter 14 - Unlikely Deja Vu

As someone with a phobia of commitment, I didn't think that Nico would be so enthusiastic about our upcoming nuptials.

But he is. He's so eager that he's hired a wedding planner and went ahead and put this huge diamond ring on my finger. It's so big, I think that Perseverance Rover could've spotted it from Mars. And now, from the loud moaning and the vigorous banging of the headboard against his bedroom wall, I'd say he's very enthusiastic indeed.

I'm sitting in his living room in front of his grand piano but my eyes are staring out the window. Not much can be seen from where I'm sitting but the skyline and the clear summer sky. My fingers deftly stroke the keys of the piano without much thought but somehow familiar melody breaks free...sad and lonely. My muscle memory.

I stop playing when I realize that the moanings have ceased. Then I look at the time on my phone and impatiently tap my four inches high heels on the floor. It's almost nine in the morning.

A few minutes later, Nico emerges from his bedroom with a woman and a man trailing behind him.

A smug-looking smile is growing on Nico's lips when he sees me. Well, at least this time, his important bit is covered. He has black silk pajama pants on. The woman is wearing sheer black lingerie while the man has blue wash jeans on. No shirt, no shoes.

"Good morning, darling," he drawls, leaning down to give me a kiss. Ewww...I don't know where those lips had been. I slide out of the piano bench, out of his reach and stand up. Nico chuckles when he reads my expression.

He's been doing that a lot since we've become "engaged"- kissing me and wrapping his arms around me. But I always elude them when I see them coming.

Nico braces his hand on the piano, watching me with an amused smile on his face. "You look beautiful this morning. As always."

"Thank you," I tell him.

I'm going to Alexander Gauthier's office this morning to drop off the jewelry, then I'm meeting Juniper and Nico's mom for a bridal dress appointment and lunch.

I don't plan to stay long at the Gauthier's office building. They treated me like trash that needed to be taken out when I showed up over a year ago. Today, I took an extra effort to look more presentable and sophisticated even though I know I won't be seeing him in person. It's like wearing armor when facing an enemy.

I'm wearing a white chiffon top with a ruched bodice. It has a wide sweetheart neckline and three-quarter flounced sleeves with smocked cuffs. I pair it with a white mini skirt with a bright red velvet belt and a pair of sexy red high heels. My makeup is understated but my lipstick is bright red. I let my whitish blonde hair down in soft waves.

The woman smiles and wraps her arms around Nico from behind but she and the other man are eyeing me as though I was a prime cut steak or a delectable dessert they can't wait to taste. "She's gorgeous," she mutters to Nico, licking her lips. "Will she be joining us?"

"I'm afraid not. My fiance thinks she's too good for something like this," answers Nico.

"Fiance?" The other guy raises an eyebrow in surprise.

"What? She doesn't like to have fun?" says the woman. "A pity."

I ignore them. "You promised me a ride to the city," I tell Nico. I hate driving in the city. Asking Astaroth's driver to drive me isn't a good idea and I don't want to take a bus or a subway in my four-inch high heels.

"Relax, you're early. You said at nine. My driver will be here on time," he says. "Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

Nico knows where I'm going and what I'm going to do today but I much rather go by myself. Having two descendants of demons swarming a Nephilims' territory isn't a very good idea. Besides, I don't want to take him shopping for a wedding dress.