Chapter 9

It was later that day when I was lying on my bunk, alone in my dorm room. Bethany had gone to a frat house party, and although I was invited, I didn't feel like going. I made the excuse of having too many videos to edit, which of course was a lie so I wouldn't hurt Beth's feelings. I was lying on my back, holding my phone above my face and scrolling through Instagram when a knock on the door startled me. I dropped my phone on my face and lightly moaned, hoping the person on the other side of the door wouldn't hear. "Coming," I yelled. "One sec."

I jumped down from my bunk and landed swiftly on my feet. When I opened the door, nobody was standing there, but on the ground was a small box wrapped in black wrapping paper. Curious, I took the box inside.

I set it on my desk and cautiously removed the paper, to which revealed a small cardboard box. I opened it and on the top of the object inside sat a note that read, "Hope you can forgive me. Happy Halloween! -Felix" After he signed his name, he put a smiley face. I opened the gift inside, which revealed a pair of clip-on cat ears. It was official, I was going as a black cat this year.

I woke up in the middle of the night by the sound of the doorknob shaking. I began to panic, and I covered myself with my blankets. "Holy crap," I whispered. "I'm being robbed!" I grabbed my phone and called the administrative office, and as they picked up, the door opened. There was no use in saying, "I'm being robbed!" As the robber is standing in front of me, so I hung up. I looked at the time before setting my phone down. It read 1:23am.

I stayed as still as possible until the light switch turned on and I peeked out from my blankets. It was Bethany.

"Beth?!" I whispered so loud that it wasn't even considered a whisper.

She grabbed a hold of my desk, looking like she was going to fall over. She kicked off her high heels and stumbled over to her bunk where she face planted into her mountain of blankets and stuffed animals.

"Are you okay? What are you doing out so late?"

She mumbled something inhuman.

"What?" I asked.

"Frat party." She said, this time lifting her head out of her blankets.

I nodded and pulled my blanket back over my head, blocking out the light. "Turn off the lights, get some sleep. Please tell me you ingested no alcohol tonight."

I could feel her perk up underneath my bed. "Absolutely not!" She yelled.

"Shh!" I shouted.

"You know I would never resort to alcohol, I'm just pissed off because I couldn't catch a ride home so I had to walk a mile back here in the highest heels I own."

I couldn't help but giggle. Thankfully she couldn't see my smiles from the top bunk.

"Anyways," I began. "Get some sleep, Bethers. We've got a four hour period tomorrow, and you've got to be up bright and early."

She groaned and within the next couple seconds the lights were off. Once again, she grumbled something inhuman and then a small banging sound was heard, followed by, "Oww!"

"What happened?" I asked as I lifted my head in the darkness.

"I stubbed my toe on something on the ground," she moaned. "I'm too tired to even see what it is."

I giggled again. "Goodnight, Bethany."

"Don't you mean, 'Good Morning'?"

I smiled and a fell back asleep after a minute of silently laughing at my room mate.

I woke up to screaming, and so did Bethany. The screaming continued off and on and once I was awake enough to hear who was screaming, I realized it was the cheerleading squad. I peered out the window once I jumped from my bunk and I saw a group of preps standing on the field by our dorm. Bethany grumbled and I told her to shush as I wanted to hear what the preps were shouting.