Chapter 2: Discovering Magic

Aaliya sat beside the silent river staring at her reflection, Her tears flowed into the river as that's why the river was called 'The River of Tears'. Aaliya stared at the river and spoke softly to herself, "Erica, why did you leave so soon?" not expecting a reply she let her head fall as it was now nightfall so the water was silent and looked black like the sky above.

 Aaliya then saw the river starting to glow a sky blue; she instantly jumped to her feet, her sapphire eyes lit up as the water began to sparkle like a diamond. Aaliya watched as the river froze over with sparkly blue dust, Just then a ghostly figure hovered over the river. Aaliya couldn't make out the ghost right away but for some reason she felt safe around this ghost. Aaliya instantly saw who it was after the ghost came closer, "E-erica!" she said almost breathlessly. 

Erica stared at Aaliya with pity as she raised her ghostly arm and pointed at the water right below her. Aaliya looked at where she pointed and saw a blue orb fly out of the water at her, she screeched and tried running the opposite way but was unsuccessful as the blue orb surrounded her and before she could tell what was going on she was off the ground and floating above the water. 

Aaliya's body lit up a sapphire like color like her eyes as she instantly felt dazed, Like she couldn't speak she fell back to the ground. Aaliya instantly jumped to her feet and looked around wildly but saw nothing but the silent black river, she sighed  with relief and stood, "a dream.." she told herself as a cold shiver ran down her. Aaliya made her way back to her home and looked in through the window to see all of her siblings and mother and father asleep. Aaliya just smiled and made her way down to where she slept, Swinging between two trees was her makeshift hammock that overlooked the sky and village she curled up with spot resting on her stomach. Her long black hair flowed over the edge of the hammock.

 Aaliya smiled to herself, but when she heard a low growl she instantly sat up and so did spot. Aaliya saw a pair of golden eyes staring at her and her heart leaped out of her chest as she was struck with fear. Aaliya realized she was staring at the lioness that was stalking her. 

Aaliya swung her long legs over the edge of the hammock and grabbed spot and bolted. Aaliya heard the lioness's paws beating behind her against the dirt floor but unfortunately for aaliya she tripped and fell but spot kept running. Aaliya looked up to see the lioness growling and hovering over her. 

Aaliya raised her arm and expecting the lioness to mual her she waited but nothing. Instantly she looked up but with shock she saw a frozen lioness. Aaliya slowly raised up and then stared at her trembling hands, A slow smile spread across her face but confusion covered her face. Aaliya held out her hand and pressed it firmly against the lioness's frozen muzzle, "I know you meant no harm, and with that become unfrozen." 

Aaliya's hand started glowing light red as the lioness suddenly unfroze and was met with aaliya holding her hand against her muzzle. Aaliya removed her hand swiftly and dipped her head to the lioness, she watched as the lioness scurried off quickly. Aaliya then ran home yelling. The door to the hut came undone as everyone ran outside tiredness glazed their eyes but they stared at aaliya ran towards them excitement coursed through her. Lesha was covered with worry as she spoke up first "Aaliya! Darling are you ok?!" aaliya smirked at her mother and nodded "Yes yes ! well i think," Lesha stared at her daughter with confusion, "You think?-" but was cut off by aaliya holding up her hand, "Everyone watch this !" Aaliya held out her hand at spot and spoke softly "you may be a dog but fly in the air like a butterfly," instantly spot began to float. Aaliya then lowered spot and turned to her family to see what they thought but was met with shocked and confused faces. Abduel grasped his daughter's arm and threw her into the hut. Aaliyah was met with her father throwing her into the hut and instantly her sapphire eyes began to glow.